Any boards that ride like this... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
darckeen

Default Any boards that ride like this...

and don't cost $859?

Quote:
Review of Nidecker Ultralite:

The ultimate snow surfing experience. Very manoeuvrable at high and low speeds despite the length. The welded wood core results in a really pure flex with minimal dead-spots and the blended radii result in silky smooth carve initiation and seamless change from long and short carves add the directional shape and slim waste and you get lightening quick edge-to-edge response. Very stable at high speeds and tons of float in powder. The Ultralite’s tail is much softer than a lot of freeride boards I’ve ridden, resulting in a surf-y pumping and slashing feel which makes this board unbelievably fun to ride, perfect down critical steeps and tight trees alike. The nose of the Ultralite is much stiffer than the tail which helps deal with high speed straight lines. Edge grip through carves is faultless and the 8800 grade sintered base means you’ll be smoking your friends and the locals, having fresh tracks all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd probably say look at some of Neversummer's stuff. Their freeride boards are supposed to be pretty good, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those comes close to it...

Also, that thing reeks of fanboyism/corporate plug.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
alasdairm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
I'd probably say look at some of Neversummer's stuff...
Quote:
Also, that thing reeks of fanboyism...
haha. "...are supposed to be..." have you even ridden an NS board?

fanboyism? irony...

alasdair
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post

fanboyism? irony...

alasdair
haha...nice catch!
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post

fanboyism? irony...

alasdair
I'm referring to the review. Some of the claims seem just a bit far out there for any board ever made. If you even read it, it pretty much reads like a corporate plug.

In terms of a good freeride board, NeverSummer has a pretty good reputation so I'd suggest starting to LOOK there.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

how do you weld wood?
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
alasdairm

^ from here:
Quote:
A lucky laboratory accident may have important implications for the wood products industry. Researchers were using linear friction equipment to melt plastics between pieces of wood. On one occasion, a technician forgot to insert the plastic piece – the exciting and unexpected result was wood that was “welded” together. Since that accident, the research team has been improving the technique for using mechanical welding machines to bond wood.

The technique is now called “mechanically-induced wood flow welding”, and it produces high-strength bonds in seconds without the use of adhesive. To “weld” wood, pieces of lumber are pressed together (at 60 – 330 psi) and rubbed back and forth at high speed for a few (3-5) seconds. After a few more seconds of clamp time, the bonding process is complete. Examination of the bondline suggests that the friction between the pieces heats and melts components of the wood (mainly lignin) and loosens fibers on the surface. These fibers intertwine in a matrix with the molten lignin and solidify to form a bond that is strong enough for structural applications. The bonds are not water-resistant, thus the technology is most promising for interior joinery and furniture.

The technology is still being developed but someday “wood welding” may offer a fast, inexpensive, adhesive-free method for bonding wood.
alasdair
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
darckeen

Quote:
Also, that thing reeks of fanboyism/corporate plug.
I feel yah.

The reason I posted the review was cause its seems that the design seemed kinda contrary to current freeride desgns in that it has a stiff nose and a soft tail producing a surfy feel, thats what i'm looking for. I mostly like to powder hunt in the trees, so i'd like something thats quick edge to edge in the deep but can still carve and straight line well on the trail.

Read a ton of reviews but most of them are oriented towards freestyle so I have difficulty understanding what characteristics apply to my riding style.

Some of the boards that sound interesting are the k2 slayblade and ns premier.