09 Custom ICS for POW? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Steveau

Default 09 Custom ICS for POW?

Hey All,

I'm off to Alaska in a few weeks and wanted to purchase a board for POW..

I currently own a K2 Darkstar WIDE (154) which ive been using for 2 years.. its a great board for it sinks to the bottom in powder!

I went to a few snowboard shops.. I've been recommended to buy the 09 Custom WIDE ICS 167 (which is on sale).. Its a pretty long board and im a bit worried its going to be to long for me.. I'm worried i wont be able to board down the groomed runs...(turn etc)..

I'm prob an intermediate boarder.

Any advice is much appreciated

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

A 167 is a HUGE board. It will probably be VERY different on the groomers. I would recommend you bring both boards and ride whatever you think you will be doing that day.

Have you looked into anything like the same size you have now except in a rocker shape, they are supposed to be much better in the deep stuff.
SchultzLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
alasdairm

^ i agree. if you are used to riding a 154, i think a 167 is going to be pretty hard to handle (my powder board is 3cm longer than my day-to-day board).

buying a board which is not right for you because it seems like a bargain is never a good idea. another board for sale will come along so remember the saying "buy in haste, repent at leisure".

alasdair
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

A 167 will turn like crap compared to the 154.

If you want a powder board then look past a custom, I have an 09 Custom and recently bought a Malolo for the powder days (Granted, I don't ride a wide board which is better for powder). But just getting an arbitrarily large board is a bad idea when there are designs out there that will provide better float in a much smaller and agile package.

You must be a big boy if someone is recommending a 167 to you.

Last edited by Reede; 02-01-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton Custom is a slay everything all-mountain camber board. You can take it from groomers to Pow and the rail garden to the jumpline. If you are looking for this type of board, then you'll be very happy.

As for the size, sounds like you're around 220 lb's with size 12 feet. If you are, then this board will give you good enough float on the other side of the rope.

However, if you're lighter than the above weight, then all you're doing is purposely buying a board that's too big and it'll be a bitch to control. Yes, a large board will give you great float in the fresh stuff. But if you're in the market for a powder specific board, don't buy an all-mountain deck that's way too big, buy a powder board that is the right size for you.

Last edited by Dano; 02-01-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Steveau

I think im about 5ft 9 or 5ft 10.. and i weigh about 74kg.. (163 pounds)..

Sorry i done a typo, i meant my k2 darkstar is 157 not 154! So the Custom ICS is 10cm longer..

So go for a rocker you think??

thanks for all your input people!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveau View Post
I think im about 5ft 9 or 5ft 10.. and i weigh about 74kg.. (163 pounds)..

Sorry i done a typo, i meant my k2 darkstar is 157 not 154! So the Custom ICS is 10cm longer..

So go for a rocker you think??

thanks for all your input people!
If you want to go shorter and still float on pow decently, get the V-Rocker Custom. With the rocker, you don't have to go with such a long board.

163wide will be a great size. Hell, you can even go 161wide. Just keep in mind, turning works differently in powder so the basic mechanics of snowboarding gets thrown out of the window in powder riding.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Focorider

I Am Selling An 09 Custom Ics 158 Right Now With Matching 09 Cartel Ecs Bindings!!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

you weigh 75kg's, How big are you feet? I'm starting to think you wont even need a wide board either.

The 167 is WAY too big for you. Avoid it. get a tapered board in the 160ish cm range (Supermodel or Malolo, to use Burton as an example) A custom V rocker would probably be OK as well but reviews ive heard are a bit of a mixed bag.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Steveau

Hmm, I am going back to the store on thurs to talk to the guy before i buy it but he really did seem to know what he was talking about.. He just about refused to sell me another board that was more expensive.

It's only 10cm more then my current board (which is a tiny bit small for me anyway).. I've been reading and everyone is saying that theses days with the technology in the boards you shouldn't have problems with turning on the groomed runs with a 167...

Grr, don't know what to do!

Thanks for all your help so far people!