EVO-R vs. SL-R - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default EVO-R vs. SL-R

Hey Guys,

so I've done my research and for what it is worth I really feel like I should/want buy a Never Summer board.

I am just not entirely sure which model I should go with for my first (and for now only) board. It will be my everyday board.

The thing is I am still sort of a beginner, I have not been on a snowboard in three years (after fracturing my wrist three times, haha) but back when I was riding more often I was able to link turns quite well, ride switch okay wherever it wasnt very steep and did some smaller jumps.

I will be using the board mostly on the piste. I have yet to see a pipe but I love to go into the deeper stuff if conditions allow it and do some jumps here and there.

Technically from all this data I am leaning towards the SL-R but I am really not entirely sure. Will the SL-R be to much for my skills and the EVO-R far easier to ride and more fun (I mean I do carve fast at times but not SUPER fast)? I probably wouldnt mind buying a second board sooner or later so from that perspective I think it makes more sense to get a softer board and get a stiffer backcountry board like the Premier or something even stiffer at some point (later).

I am probably just worrying way to much about minor differences here but since I have never ridden a Never Summer board I would really like to hear what you think. I do not want to beginner for ever and just cruise the mountain, I like to improve every day. Its fine if you just post "EVO" or "SL-R" as a reply. Judging from my skill which length would you recommend (I remember from the time when I was renting to always go for a bit of a shorter board just to have it a little easier so I am inclined to go with 158 cm instead of 161 cm - 6'1", 165 lbs).

Last edited by 33549; 02-01-2010 at 05:22 AM.
33549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It sounds as if you want an all-'rounder. Therefore, I'll toss in my vote for the SL-R.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't worry about the SL-R being too much board for you. I got mine last year, which was my 2nd season, and found it very forgiving. NS seems to have hit the nail on the head with making boards that work well for all skill levels. I can't speak for the Evo, but from personal experience I wholeheartedly vouch for the SL-R being forgiving with tons of room for progression. For reference I'm 5'11" 145 - 150 lbs, and I ride the 155.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
For reference I'm 5'11" 145 - 150 lbs, and I ride the 155.
isn't a bit shorter? i thought you'd be at least 157
lorcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
I'm 5'8 160lb and riding 151 evo everywhere , its about preferences.
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
Nah, 155 seems about ideal for him for an all-mountain board. Don't worry about the height so much, it's weight that is the primary determining factor.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Nah, 155 seems about ideal for him for an all-mountain board. Don't worry about the height so much, it's weight that is the primary determining factor.
well, I am 5'11'' 150lb and found many tables with weight range/board size, and choosing the range where my weight was in the middle my suggested board size was 157-160.
I am about to buy a Nitro Team, and between the 157 and 159 I choose the latter because I am more interested in powd and carving
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

this is the chart i was referring to
Part Four: Choosing the Right Snowboard Length
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Focorider

i had a 158 SL-R and it sank like the titanic in powder, absolute nightmare. that board weighs a TON! i only weigh 120 and if i went into powder it was not pretty. they build those boards to survive a nuclear bomb. not bomb a hill of powder. I sold it after 1 month.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ Sounds like you need practice riding in powder then? Not sure what to tell you...if theres one thing the SL-R can do its powder.

Hell i'm 145lb and ride a 151 through a foot of powder no problem.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote