Custom burton and its competitors: truth or myth? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom burton and its competitors: truth or myth?

It's just a few days I started reading websites and newsgroups, looking for an all mountain board, my first board, reliable and solid, to keep for the next few years, a board which i cant outgrow. A board allowing me to carve precisely and tightly, get fast and being stable at the same time, and also a board able to give me fantastic time off-piste in the powd. I am not interested in park, but from time to time I'd like my board to allow me there.

After reading a bit, I understood the voice is that Burton is overpriced and you dont need to spend so much money for the same quality.

I read a lot of reviews, but the only and only one board without any negative review is ....the Custom indeed. Always 5 star full judgment in any rating.
I was about to pull the trigger on Nitro Team/K2 Podium/K2 Turbodream, but at the end something made me think again...and the Custom name came up again...

So, It's really such a great board? I mean, so greater than others? Better materials? Better something? which are its most likely competitors? Is there any "objective" review you might suggest?
lorcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Board choices

Burton is a large company and didn't get that way making absolute garbage. Still, many of us (me included) prefer other boards. My recommendation is currently Never Summer and Lib Tech. Never Summer is rock solid and great in deep pow. Lib Tech's magnetraction gives it an edge on ice. I have both and don't want to choose between them. Hopefully on my upcoming Colorado trip, I can try out Venture boards also. Still, I think you'll be happy with NS or Lib Tech's Travis Rice models.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Any Burton hater that hates the company for valid reasons only hates them for their business practices.

Of course, 90% of them just hate because that is the cool thing to do.

But... none of the haters deny that the Custom is a very very solid board. Can you get something just as good for cheaper? Yup. Will the price be a huge difference if you get one on sale? Nope.

The moral of the story is... if you are looking to get a current year board, you can certainly find equivalent boards for cheaper. If you are looking at post-season boards, then the price issue becomes much less of a problem.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default +1 For The Custom

Custom is a solid choice. An all-mountain slay everything from park to pipe, groomers to under the rope pow, and rail gardens to the jumpline. Yes, it's a Burton so you'll be paying a little more for the name (as well as years of tech and a great warrenty). But if you're looking for a do everything board that you can ride for years to come, save your coins and pull the trigger on this deck. And pair it some Cartel bindings.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Board choice

Or just wait until next season. Then you can get a J.Jones The Solution split board with magnetraction, blunt nose, environmentally correct manufacture, and more.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 for lib tech. if you ride east coast i would definitely look at a lib tech trice or lib tech TRS to handle the ice.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks you all. Very clear.
I ride in ....Italy, and I have to get what I can find.

About price difference: now that also other boards are on sale, the price difference between for example the nitro team and the custom is more than 130 euro.

do u think the other boards I listed above are comparable? If they cost all the same, is the Custom the obvious choice?
i found some saying that the Team is the Custom's rival. While some told me that Custom is a bit more than intermediate board.
As you can see, I am now very confused again....
lorcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

i bought a custom last season and i love it! i know this is partly because the last board i had was very old and the step up was extremely noticeable, but all in all i love that board. it does everything i ask it to and a few times i've avoided disaster seemingly just cuz the board didn't feel like getting dinged up.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do companies have patents on specific boards? Would it be that hard for another company to replicate the custom?
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default patents

Most want to make their own design. If I wanted a Custom, I'd buy it from Burton. Burton did a lot and does a lot to promote snowboarding. Just because I don't ride them (I do own one) any longer, doesn't make them bad. There are, for many of us, better designs. However, there are patents. This is a multi-million dollar business.