First Board Help - Burton Custom X - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board Help - Burton Custom X

Hello everyone,

I'm new to purchasing snowboards but am not new to snowboarding. I have been successfully snowboarding for the past year but have yet to lay down a lump some for a board. I have probably lost money through just renting, but I guess that's what I get for being a cheap ass.

I have interest in the Burton Custom X Wide Snowboard because I hear it is a great all around mountain board. I'm a free ride boarder with some freestyle interests so I believe this is a good choice. Here is where I need an expert's advice.

I am 5'10 and 150lbs with a size 11 boot. On burton's site, I used their board generator and I was advised around a size (sorry if this is not the proper term) 157-158.

I found a board on eBay that is a new Custom X for $350. The size is 159. Is this a good buy and a good size for my size? Even though it is 159 is that fine? I'm 17 years old and I believe I have a tiny bit of growing left so is this a good plan?

Thanks for the support,
Texas Boarder
Texas Exclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

$350 is a good price for a Custom X. It is a weapon of a board tho and not a lot of people will recommend it as a first purchase. Unless you already ride at warp speed you would probably get better value out of a regular Custom.

You are also fairly light for a board that size (I am almost 40lbs heavier than you and I ride a 158 Custom) Unfortunately wide boards tend to be fairly limited size wise. At 17 tho you can plan to start getting fat once you go to college, then your board will be perfect.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reede View Post
$350 is a good price for a Custom X. It is a weapon of a board tho and not a lot of people will recommend it as a first purchase. Unless you already ride at warp speed you would probably get better value out of a regular Custom.

You are also fairly light for a board that size (I am almost 40lbs heavier than you and I ride a 158 Custom) Unfortunately wide boards tend to be fairly limited size wise. At 17 tho you can plan to start getting fat once you go to college, then your board will be perfect.
I am 5'7 150 lbs and ride a 157. I ride only backcountry and powder though.
I like the custom X. It is a good all mountain board. You can get another brand board that will give you equal or more functionality for less money.
oliveryochest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveryochest View Post
I am 5'7 150 lbs and ride a 157. I ride only backcountry and powder though.
I like the custom X. It is a good all mountain board. You can get another brand board that will give you equal or more functionality for less money.
Alright thanks for the advice you two. What do you believe is the best size for me? A 158 or 157? Also what other boards would be just as good? I want a board that will be worth my while so I thought a board on that quality would be.

Any other advice?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got a custom X (coming off of an old clash) with about 8 days of boarding experience behind me... It really did improve my boarding a lot (I tried ruddering my first turn off the lift with it and promptly faceplanted). I am 5'10 170 and a 158cm seems fine, if a little stiffer than I'm used to.

The thing is, I'm on the east coast and most of the nearby mountains (not near VT) are kind of small... I kinda wish I had something a little more flexy so I could play around a little more.
mjung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm 180lbs on a 158 and I want to go shorter for my next board.

At a mere 150lbs, you should get a 156-157. If you have freestyle interests, definitely go for the 156. I don't know the waist width of the Custom X off hand, but normally you don't need a wide board for a size 11boot. Wide boards are recommended for size 12+ boots.

Check the waist width to be sure if you need a wide or not.

I also agree that a regular Custom is better suited for your interests. Get it in the V-Rocker and it will handle the pow pow with ease too.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I guess I'm back to stage one then. So, from my current body size and interests, I should go for a 156. So, with a boot size 11, I don't need a wide atleast burton wise? It sounds like you all advise the regular custom from the 2008-2009 line? Is this as "all around" as the Custom X?

I am also looking for a board that has "look" that is more exciting. Personally, I'm not a big fan of just having the words "CUSTOM" on the bottom. I know picky, but for $400.. eh.

If anyone has time.. could you send some links of boards you would advise for my tastes?

Thanks again for putting up with my basic questions,
Texas Boarder

Last edited by Texas Exclusive; 02-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First of all, don't buy a board on looks. Yeah having a sweet looking board is kind of nice, but chances are if your intent is to ride it, it'll be covered in snow or drying in the garage or basement. You should buy a board that'll match your style of shredding.

I ride a 2010 Custom X and absolutely love it, but it did take time to get comfortable with. It is a VERY stiff board. This makes it very stable and solid at high speeds and great for the big hits, but it's harder to initiate turns, it's a plank on rails and boxes, and if you catch an edge, you're fucked! Especially at the speeds it almost forces you to go. I've never had such a fast board. Also, when flying through the chop, it doesn't chatter like a softer flex board, but it doesn't flex around the bumps or moguls either. This means that your legs always have to be ready to absorb an impact or stomp a landing because it's not uncommon to find yourself airborne.

The Custom is a much more well rounded versatile board. You can till straightline with it, but it's more park friendly. I'd suggest this board with a set of Cartels. Especially if you've got 1 year of riding under your belt, try to demo a stiff board before you buy one a limit yourself to 1 style of riding.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
First of all, don't buy a board on looks. Yeah having a sweet looking board is kind of nice, but chances are if your intent is to ride it, it'll be covered in snow or drying in the garage or basement. You should buy a board that'll match your style of shredding.

I ride a 2010 Custom X and absolutely love it, but it did take time to get comfortable with. It is a VERY stiff board. This makes it very stable and solid at high speeds and great for the big hits, but it's harder to initiate turns, it's a plank on rails and boxes, and if you catch an edge, you're fucked! Especially at the speeds it almost forces you to go. I've never had such a fast board. Also, when flying through the chop, it doesn't chatter like a softer flex board, but it doesn't flex around the bumps or moguls either. This means that your legs always have to be ready to absorb an impact or stomp a landing because it's not uncommon to find yourself airborne.

The Custom is a much more well rounded versatile board. You can till straightline with it, but it's more park friendly. I'd suggest this board with a set of Cartels. Especially if you've got 1 year of riding under your belt, try to demo a stiff board before you buy one a limit yourself to 1 style of riding.
+1

the CX is a serious board, i absolutely love mine though, super fast and stable and matches my riding perfect. I have never had trouble catching edges with it but i am a fairly good rider, its a great board for going fast, getting air and carving hard.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^^^ I find my edges don't tend to catch. Due to the stiffness, a hard carve, and sharp edges, i find that it cuts through chop that would have usually caught on my previous board. However the last time i did catch an edge was on freshly groomed snow during night skiing, I was going fast enough my eyes were watering inside my goggles, and my mind was VERY "altered" at the time. I rag dolled for ever
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote