Waxing :/ - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
sub7m19

Default Waxing :/

So I just bought a new board and never tried waxing my own board before but i was looking at some videos on youtube and reading some waxing tutorials on here and needed help on whether a simple cheap iron would work the same as a iron made for waxing. I know there is the temp control on the iron for waxing but as for the regular iron will the holes create any problems? Also, do any of you guys find that waxing it yourself is a lot cheaper than having it waxed at a shop?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

i covered my iron with tinfoil so the wax wouldn't get into the holes. you have to watch the wax to make sure it's not smoking and that your base isn't getting fried. i saw in a shop once that it cost $15 for a wax job. i don't know if that's standard fare but i think it might be safe to say after 3-4 waxes it doing it yourself pays for itself.
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
longleglongfoot

well a full wax + tune will probably run around 20 to 30 dollars depending on where you take your board to. A full waxing kit can cost somewhere between 40 to 80 dollars.
So to answer your question i may cost less to bring it to a shop if you're going to have it wax once this season but if you're going to keep waxing your board it may be a better investment to get a full waxing kit.
hope this makes sense to you
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
sub7m19

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishydonut View Post
i covered my iron with tinfoil so the wax wouldn't get into the holes. you have to watch the wax to make sure it's not smoking and that your base isn't getting fried. i saw in a shop once that it cost $15 for a wax job. i don't know if that's standard fare but i think it might be safe to say after 3-4 waxes it doing it yourself pays for itself.
Ic... Tin foil doesnt sound like a great idea but yea man this shop by my house costs me like $15 to wax it and so far this season ive gotten it waxed about 3-4 times :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by longleglongfoot View Post
well a full wax + tune will probably run around 20 to 30 dollars depending on where you take your board to. A full waxing kit can cost somewhere between 40 to 80 dollars.
So to answer your question i may cost less to bring it to a shop if you're going to have it wax once this season but if you're going to keep waxing your board it may be a better investment to get a full waxing kit.
hope this makes sense to you
Fersure thanks man. And what is you recommendation about the iron vs the snowboard iron ?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
longleglongfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub7m19 View Post
Ic... Tin foil doesnt sound like a great idea but yea man this shop by my house costs me like $15 to wax it and so far this season ive gotten it waxed about 3-4 times :/

Fersure thanks man. And what is you recommendation about the iron vs the snowboard iron ?
if you're not planning to reuse the iron on your clothes than feel free to use it. setting it cotton should be the correct one. but i still recommend getting a waxing iron over a clothing iron.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

cheap ass iron at target/walmart works fine. dont worry about getting it into the holes if you are only using it for waxing. Melt the wax on. spread it evenly. scrape it off. Its that simple. Its pretty hard to screw up you board on a wax job.
Ianxcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

diy...so damn cheap, bought a $1.50 travel iron (no holes and will work on 120 or 240 v) from the thrift store...on 7th year, make my own wax recipe for about $5/pound (will last a quite a few seasons) waxing every other day out, use the crayon method...takes 5-10 minutes max...no scraping (first run is a bit sticky...but after that its fine)....so under $7 total...comes to less than $1/season....25-30 days/season.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 02-02-2010 at 07:09 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Talking

This is my 1st season and we have 3 boards to maintain. So I watched Snowolf and many others teaching how to wax.

I bought an iron from Goodwill $7, small wax all temp $7, file $15, diamond stone $20, base cleaner $5 and I'm still ahead of the game.

When I'm doing my boards I either keep one hand on the face of the board to make sure it isn't getting hot or I check it frequently.
Start the iron on a lower setting if it isn't a waxing iron. You can always increase the heat. Starting to hot could burn the base if you aren't careful and keep the iron moving.

Like anything the 1st time can be intimidating, I am no way a pro but good enough for us, and our local ice hills.

-Slyder
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub7m19 View Post

how many times have you rode this year? having it waxed 3-4 times you must have about 20 days in by now?
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't worry about the holes in the iron... if the iron is hot, then the wax won't stay there long, will it

The cotton setting on clothing irons is too hot. Use the polyester setting or slightly warmer. You should have to rub the iron around a bit to melt the wax and work it into the board...this way the temperature of the base gradually rises instead of getting hit with a bunch of heat at once.

Last time I got my board tuned, the shop by me charged me $40! That is why I got my own stuff. Iron for $7, wax for $31 shipped (whole pound). I charge friends $5 for waxing and tuning to cover the cost of the cost of the wax. The only drawback is that it makes a mess, so you might want to add a painter's drop cloth into your expenses.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote