Longer boards with shorter effective edges - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
exastronaut

Default Longer boards with shorter effective edges

Let's start with the basics-

I'm 6'2" 210#. I currently ride a Ride Concept TMS 164. I like my board on the groomers and it's good in a couple inches of snow because it's pretty stable and stiff. It's pretty good for making quick turns in the steeps and bumps, but I feel like the transition could be faster and smoother. I feel like it catches an edge quickly, which isn't always good. It sucks in powder. I ride with my stance almost as wide as it can go, and the nose is too short and stiff. I have a sore neck today because I was flying past a snow gun yesterday and the nose plowed under, flipping me on my head. This board was great in PA, but now that I'm in VT and we actually get some snow, I need something a little different.

So I've decided that based on my needs I want a longer board with a bit more tip and tail length and maybe even width. I don't want a rocker board, we don't get enough snow for that. I also don't want a massive, sluggish board either. I'd like to find something in the 166-170 range that has an effective edge equal to or less than that of my current board, which is 128 cm. I don't want to sacrifice maneuverability for a little bit of extra float. Basically, I want a board that is similar to my current stick, but with a little more length outside of the contact points. Since this is still the 'Ice Coast' grip is important to me too.

I've looked at the Bataleon Undisputed 167, a couple Nidecker boards and Never Summer. However, it seems like the boards I like are nearly impossible to find near me (especially Bataleon and Nidecker), and I don't really want to buy something I haven't even seen in person, let alone taken out for a demo ride.

SO... thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
darckeen

Check out the Smokin KT-22. Comes in MTX(traditional camber with magna traction), or what your probably looking for BTX(rocker-flat-rocker with magna traction). With your stance that wide you might wanna go for the 172 imo.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

no need to upsize that much. Just go with something that has rocker in it and it will provide much better float than your current board. I would look at a NS Premier or K2 Slayblade for a board that can charge hard but will have good float. Think about the fact that many powder boards suggest that you size down because they are already designed for extra float without the need for extra length
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
exastronaut

172 does seem a little bit too long for me, I want a board that's better in powder, but not a pow-specific stick. I still want maneuverability and performance on groomers that beats my TMS.

The NS Premier has been recommended to me by a couple of people. )The RC tech sounds appealing, but I really don't understand how their Vario Power Grip is different than any other progressive sidecut. (And don't tell me 'it's like Magne-Traction' because it's not.) It seems like it might have a slightly softer flex but more damping than my Ride, but every manufacturer's rating system is subjective, so who knows?

The Smokin' and K2 both have flat camber between the bindings. I haven't really considered a flat camber board, maybe I should look into it more.

The thing is, if flat boards are so great, then why did boards go from flat to cambered in the first place? At some point in time it was decided that camber was superior to flat boards, and you didn't see anyone making flat boards. Now we're going back to it. Is that just due to the rocker hype that has popped up in the last couple of years? All of the sudden camber is such a hot topic. I wonder which of these technologies will really last.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1)Vario Grip from angrysnowboarder: By having a deeper radius into a shallower radius which finally goes into a straight line these create the indentations or kinks. It’s a very similar concept to what Salomon created with their Equalizer sidecut, the only difference is that Salomon uses straight lines through the whole sidecut and has a few more kinks.
2)The Never Summer boards while they do have a reverse camber still have camber in the tip and tail and i have found that even on their softer boards (i have an evo-r) they still can carve very well.
3) the anti-camber revolution could be a fad but I think it is here to stay. I still love jumping on my Nitro Shogun which is super stiff, has tons of pop and can carve like a beast. My Evo-R though, is so much more playful, has great float, harder to catch an edge and just seems more fun. Obviously that is a more freestyle board but the concepts apply to boards like the Premier. I demo'd the Premier and the Slayblade. I thought the slayblade was sick. The flat camber plus their hybridtaper creates such a quick turning board. I did not ride it in powder but in theory and from what i hear it should be pretty good. I actually really wanted a Slayblade but now that I have seen the 2010 Jones boards I am going to hold off for a Flagship.
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
exastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq33 View Post
By having a deeper radius into a shallower radius which finally goes into a straight line these create the indentations or kinks. Itís a very similar concept to what Salomon created with their Equalizer sidecut, the only difference is that Salomon uses straight lines through the whole sidecut and has a few more kinks.
Ok, so if I understand that correctly- by not blending the different radii together, you get a little bump that creates an extra contact point. Multiple radii is nothing new, but I guess that instead of having them line up to make one smooth curve, they meet up a little bit unevenly, for lack of a better term.

Quote:
I demo'd the Premier and the Slayblade. I thought the slayblade was sick. The flat camber plus their hybridtaper creates such a quick turning board. I did not ride it in powder but in theory and from what i hear it should be pretty good. I actually really wanted a Slayblade but now that I have seen the 2010 Jones boards I am going to hold off for a Flagship.
So in your opinion the Slayblade was better than the Premier? I was pretty sold on the Premier for a while, but I want to explore all of my options.

I have seen the Jones boards, and the flagship looks pretty sweet. The directional rocker looks good for pow. Those boards are being made by Nidecker, and their CamRock design seems to be the only camber/ rocker shape with a serious amount of camber between the bindings. I think a CamRock version of the Megalight 167 at the right price would be very tempting.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you are adamant against a rocker board, you sound prime for a 09/10 NS Titan too...
That said i think you should give a Premier F1 a try, or atleast one of NS's rockers...it really is quite an experience.

Even at 145lbs i can ride my 151 SL-R through some deep ass powder with little to no issue...and thats a smallish board...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
exastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
If you are adamant against a rocker board
It's not like I'm totally opposed to it, or would never own one. For right now though, I'm looking for a board with more versatility than a pure rocker would give me. I'm open to a rocker/ camber combo of any type however.

I'd really like to find a place where I can demo a Premier. I really just need to find a place where I can demo boards, period.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
darckeen

I'm looking for a board somewhat similar to what your looking for, an ice coast freeride board. The boards that i'm interested are at 5'10" 185:

k2 slayblade 164 - k2 fan ever since i got my eldo
ns premier 163 - vario grip and that new rocker stuff
gnu billy goat 162 - mtx and that new rocker stuff
smokin kt-22 162 btx - mtx w or w/o new rocker stuff

They all have some kinda new fangled grip tech except the slayblade. Another one I considered is the nidecker megalight/ultralight but the're too expensive for me. Also considering just getting a k2 podium 162 since they are well reviewed and available on the cheap.

The problem with this list is that the only ones that have a grip tech and is available in sizes bigger then the ones listed in non-wide is the kt-22 and the premier. The reason I suggested a 172 is cause you said you were having a problem going over the nose because it was too short The only thing in a board to help is to get a bigger size or set your stance back further, but you said you were already maxed out on your stance.

Last edited by darckeen; 02-02-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: oops
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
exastronaut

Yeah, I'm having the exact problem that you pointed out there. It seems like those 'grip tech' boards only come in smaller sizes. I wear a 10.5 boot, so a mid-wide is ok, but I'd set this board up with a fairly forward stance, like +24 +15, so I don't really need anything wider than a standard board. It seems like the assumption is that if you ride a longer board, you must have huge feet.

I understand the logic on going for an even longer board, but I don't think that will be necessary because longer boards tend to be set up for wider stances, so I may not be maxed out on a bigger board. Plus a more freeride/ powder oriented board should have a longer, softer nose, and a bit more setback.