Board Advice for a beginner? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
TrabbitRN

Default Board Advice for a beginner?

Im 26 6'2 190 lbs. I have been snowboarding 6 times in the last 2 years and really enjoy riding and plan on riding more in the future. I am growing tired of renting equipment as I ride different places so the equipment is always changing and this I feel is causing my progression to slow. I can do green and blue runs and comfortably link turns. I however have not tried jumps or the park yet but I would like to do some jumps in the future although this will not be a huge part of my riding as I enjoy carving down the mountain. The terrain I ride on is mostly Icy however we do get some nice powder occasionally.

I have done some research and I have found a few boards that have really good reviews and I just need to know if these will be good boards for my current situation. In this instance the cost of the board is not a huge factor however i don't want to spend more than $550 for the board.

The boards I have been looking at are the Burton Joystick, Burton Custom, Burton Custom V-rocker, Ride Machete. I do not have a preference to Burton however it seems that they have good reviews on these boards and all my rentals so far have been Burton. I am open to other brands such as ride, lib tech and forum. Any suggestions would be helpful. I will probably ride a board between 161-164 and my boot size is usually 11 (changes depending on boot). I have been doing all my research online as I do not have a place by me that demos boards.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

I just got myself a Ride Machete size 161W. I'm 6' 215 pounds. It's an awesome board. I reviewed it here if you want some more info on how it handles & stuff, but I'd recommend it. The 61W would probably be a good size for you with the size 11 boots, although you could probably use the regular width 162.

A buddy of mine just ordered a Joystick and I've never ridden it, so I can't say how it will be for you, but aside from riding ability, he has a similar riding profile - sticks mostly to groomers & carving, doesn't do a lot of park/jumps/etc.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1

Last edited by david_z; 02-03-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: correct typo
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
TrabbitRN

Thanks david_z. I am serisouly considering the ride machete as I can also get it at a good deal online!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
TrabbitRN

Still curious if anyone has any info on the Burton custom or Burton custom V-rocker? I am interested in these boards as well but want to make sure they are not to stiff for my level. Thanks