help me spend money wisely :) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help me spend money wisely :)

Hi,
So this post has taken me a while to put together because I tried to do some research and not just post a "what board" kinda thing. If you read all of it and reply, well.. your the shit.

Info
GenderMale
Height5'7
Weight128
Age19
Street Shoe Size10

Riding Type
This has been my first season snowboarding. I feel like I have picked up things pretty quick and I have already gone to the mountain 15+ times, but I'm no JP Walker. I like freestyle but I get mad frustrated in the park because it seems to me as if the only way to get good is to deal with a shitload of pain. I fall so much and feel like I got run over by a truck the next day. So, with that said, I'm looking for a board that is somewhere in between a good park board and a good freeride board.

Current "Setup"
My current setup is nothing other than trash. I went on ebay and found one of the cheapest things I could. I have managed to put a large gash in the bottom of this board already by hitting a rock, and I'm using clicker bindings with a pair of old, uncomfortable rental boots. Needless to say, all of this combined was only $180. Why am I telling you about my current setup? Because I hate how stiff this board feels and how heavy it is. I have ridden my friends board (some ride one with white that fades to orange) and it seems so much lighter and more responsive. So I'm looking for a board similar to that feel.

Some possible ideas after "research"
1.machete
2.headline
3.Mayhem
4.Don't know what this ones called
5.Revolt
6.Kinetic ****** was especially looking at this one because its mad cheap
7.Mission?

Other info
I need new bindings and boots too obviously to get off clickers, but I know nothing about those, so if you could suggest a cheap, quality combination that'd be cool. I have read that the best way to know what boots to get is to just try on in store and see whats comfortable?
Also, all of those above boards are just maybe. Please suggest others if you have any. I'm paying a 50k tuition, so as you can tell I'm looking for not mad expensive. Pref between under 350. 400 if its REALLY that worth it.

Why don't I demo?
costs too much

Last edited by Korey; 02-03-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: gave more specific range of pricing
Korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Firstly, we really need to know what your budget is..you say cheap..but then list 400 dollar boards as possibilities

Secondly, stay away from Lamar/LTD/5150/etc because they are all going to be planks like your current board.

Expensive boards are expensive because they use carbon fiber inside to give the structural support and rigidness and keep it light. Cheap boards dont, thats why they are so heavy.

I hate to keep posting this, but check out Sierrasnowboard.com as they are having a 30% off sale for all 2010 stuff...

Maybe like a Sierra Crew? Or a Sierrascope? But it all depends on what your spending...but that said ill say it as i always do..buy your boots first. You can get down the hill fine with a cheap plank if you have comfy boots, you'll be crying in pain after your first run with cheap boots and a expensive board.

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Firstly, we really need to know what your budget is..you say cheap..but then list 400 dollar boards as possibilities

Secondly, stay away from Lamar/LTD/5150/etc because they are all going to be planks like your current board.

Expensive boards are expensive because they use carbon fiber inside to give the structural support and rigidness and keep it light. Cheap boards dont, thats why they are so heavy.

I hate to keep posting this, but check out Sierrasnowboard.com as they are having a 30% off sale for all 2010 stuff...

Maybe like a Sierra Crew? Or a Sierrascope? But it all depends on what your spending...but that said ill say it as i always do..buy your boots first. You can get down the hill fine with a cheap plank if you have comfy boots, you'll be crying in pain after your first run with cheap boots and a expensive board.
haha shows you how much i know, i figured 400 was reasonable for a board.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

nobody else has any input?