Is this a good board, for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this a good board, for me?

I'm a beginner boarder, long time skier. Probably been boarding 5-6 times, with a long hiatus between 2006 and last Saturday. Didn't do too badly considering. Can successfully handle the bunny hills without much problem, could probably start hitting the harder greens and easier blues. My stats:

Height/Weight: 5'7" 170 lbs +/- 10-15 (weightlifter)
Boot size: 9
Riding style (do you like to charge steeps? Spin 7's/9's, ride groomers?): I guess all-mountain? Like I said beginner right now just focusing on getting down the mountain. Might want to try some tricks once I'm more confident.
budget: Like to stay at or under $500.
Your location of riding: CT/MA/VT

I've been doing a lot of reading and this board seems like a decent fit, but I have no experience with anything other than rental boards.

Save on Morrow Radium Snowboard 155 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Last edited by Altephor; 02-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Altephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you are going to take snowboarding seriously and plan on improving i would suggest a lib tech booard with MTX for better edge hold on ice. if i were you i would look for a TRS or T.Rice around 155cm.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Board choice

If you're going to spend money, get something you can ride a few years.

If you're on the Ice Coast, Lib Tech is a great way to go.

If you want bullet-proof performance, go with Never Summer.

Both manufacturers make their boards in the U.S. To me, that's important. Lots of folks need jobs and I don't see the point in shipping those jobs overseas...particularly for high-priced items like snowboards. We can speak with our pocketbooks. Of course, that's easy for me to say because both are first-rate manufacturers.

Here's a link with info on board sizing and why - look particularly at the why.

Here's a link on Never Summer with a little bit on Mervin/Lib Tech.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

dude dont go for morrow haha i just personaly dont like them. If I were you I would stick with the more well known companies like burton, capita, forum and companies like that. I also would look on ebay because you can get like a brand new board for like half of what it is in stores, just saying
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Basically I'm looking for something very beginner friendly. I've read all this about camber vs rocker vs zero, and I really don't get any of it. I just want something that isn't going to throw me down the mountain every time I go toe-side, since I am pretty weak on turning on to that edge.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

direct link to Never Summer article - good reading

Denver News - The economy's on ice and snow sports have skidded off the rails, but Never Summer is riding high - page 1

Based on the article I'll check them out as well

Last edited by v-verb; 02-04-2010 at 07:32 AM.
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

So, for a beginner, is the rocker more forgiving? Everything I've read at lib-tech seems like their MTX and BTX make it much easier to get on edge and carve, but I don't want to buy into their hype just because the website says so.

Also, as a beginner, am I really going to notice ANY difference when I have such a low skill level?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Beginner's board

Look, I like Lib Tech and NS. You would too. As a beginner, you may not notice but presumably you'll improve. Next year, it may matter. Buy a good board and it lasts a long time. I regularly ride a NS Summit and a Lib Tech Travis Rice. Both are several years old. The improvements in NS have me leaning that way now for the new one but it's a daily thing ;-)

I'll still keep building my quiver though.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

If nothing else -- a friend of mine has a Morrow board. He's taken it out twice and it already looks like a beat up PoS around the edges (mostly superficial -- but I'll bet it's also a reflection of its general durability) without any major collisions, liftline incidents, etc. So he's now riding a shittier board with low resale value that will probably need to be replaced soon. If you can afford it, spend a little more and get a board on sale from a more reputable company. You'll probably be able to recoup a good portion of the cost if you decide to resell it, effectively making it "cost" the same as a low end board. And you'll probably have a better time on it too.
unsunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I've narrowed it down to the NS SL-R or NS Evo-R. Right now I'm leaning more towards the SL-R as it's listed as an all-mountain board, since I rarely ride in the park and I can't even think of a mountain around here with a half-pipe on it.

But, from what I've read the Evo will handle all-mountain just fine (especially the tiny mountains here in CT and MA), and has better flex should I ever carry over on to some jumps/rails.

Thoughts?