What to do with new board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to do with new board?

Hi Guys and Gals,

I was wondering what is the smart thing to do when taking out a new board riding for the first time?
Yesterday i received a new snowboard which i bought online.
It is a freestyle board by Omatic, the Extr-eco.
This board is gonna see a lot of time in the park obviously cus i live near a indoor snowboarding spot which has a permanent park.

I remember reading online that when venturing into the park you wanna detune the edges so you won't catch an edge, but since this is a rockered board do i still need to perform this?

Do i also need to wax it first before taking it out?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Rodman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman1978 View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,

I was wondering what is the smart thing to do when taking out a new board riding for the first time?
Yesterday i received a new snowboard which i bought online.
It is a freestyle board by Omatic, the Extr-eco.
This board is gonna see a lot of time in the park obviously cus i live near a indoor snowboarding spot which has a permanent park.

I remember reading online that when venturing into the park you wanna detune the edges so you won't catch an edge, but since this is a rockered board do i still need to perform this?

Do i also need to wax it first before taking it out?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, detuning the tips will help in the park. A good wax job is a must on a brand new board since factory wax is really intended to be a storage wax until the board is pulled off the shelf.

Oh you are missing one important thing....ride the heck out of it and have fun!! Enjoy your new ride.
SnoRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRidr View Post
Yes, detuning the tips will help in the park. A good wax job is a must on a brand new board since factory wax is really intended to be a storage wax until the board is pulled off the shelf.

Oh you are missing one important thing....ride the heck out of it and have fun!! Enjoy your new ride.
Detuning (dulling) the tip and tail (the part toward the nose and tail that doesn’t touch the floor when you lay I flat on the base) helps reduce unintentional jerkiness and catching.

Beveling (angle filing) the base edge lifts the steel’s sharp corner of the base plane and reduces unintentional catches on rails and features while still maintaining the board’s performance in carving (especially on icy conditions like a half-pipe). Usually done at 1-3 degrees. Rearly, some may go up to 5 or 6 to be extreme. This also make the board catch less when landing off on a spin or butter move as well as allow it to ride flat based more stably since it’s like a “boat” sort of.

You can also bevel the side edge to offset the base bevel to make it “sharper”.

Snowboard Edge Sharpening
Tognar Ski Snowboard Edge Bevel File Tools Guides Tips

I’ve found that when you do this, it’s harder to turn at really slow speeds because you have to angle your board a slight bit more to engage the edge…which is easier when speed allows you to lean more. Not a big deal if you aren’t a slow beginner but worth a note. But even for beginners, I think the advantages outweigh the “scariness” of going faster while learning.

Like when I gave my friend a 3b1s bevel, he said that the board kept slipping out from under him and he couldn’t stand on it. I told him to try to get himself to go faster and that worked and he was going faster without catching an edge like he normally did when he couldn’t control it at that speed.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-05-2010 at 12:05 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

But do you guys reckon it is still necessary to adjust the bevel???
Since this board has a base tech almost similar to Bataleon Triple Base Technology??

It basically has edges that are raised slightly from the ground, it has a slightly elevated profile at the edge of the board.

I hope you get what i mean??

I added a link to a review to clarify the edges:
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/?p=4400
Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
But do you guys reckon it is still necessary to adjust the bevel???
Since this board has a base tech almost similar to Bataleon Triple Base Technology??

It basically has edges that are raised slightly from the ground, it has a slightly elevated profile at the edge of the board.

I hope you get what i mean??

I added a link to a review to clarify the edges:
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Battle of the Base Technologies: TBT vs BST
I've never rode a Bataleon myself, but it looks like they have that idea and basically extended it to include "beveling" part of the base. However, is the edge/base between the bindings beveled? I think they said it runs tip to tail in the link. If not, then maybe it can catch during some boardslides. I believe there was a Burton jibbing board that tried to solve this by change the edge shape between the bindings...forgot what it was called.

But I've wondered whether the Bataleon's are good for presses. Since it basically gives you less nose and tail to ride on, how stable is that compared to a normal board? I suppose it's a matter of how much % of the base cross-section is beveled at that particular press area.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-05-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

The edge between the bindings is slightly raised, that's Omatic Bowed Surface technology.
However the raised edges only start at like an inch from the edge, at the widest point it is maybe 1,5 inch wide.

It rides pretty stable, took it out for a test run this afternoon, even tried a couple of boardslides.
And the only hangup i noticed was due to the factory wax being a littly dry when doing a boardslide.
It held it's edge surprisingly good.

I just waxed the board and will take it out again on sunday.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
The edge between the bindings is slightly raised, that's Omatic Bowed Surface technology.
However the raised edges only start at like an inch from the edge, at the widest point it is maybe 1,5 inch wide.

It rides pretty stable, took it out for a test run this afternoon, even tried a couple of boardslides.
And the only hangup i noticed was due to the factory wax being a littly dry when doing a boardslide.
It held it's edge surprisingly good.

I just waxed the board and will take it out again on sunday.
I wouldn't worry about it then. You sound good to go in the park.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-05-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
xdynasty725x

I just bought the team flow antti 157 board yesterday. So you guys are saying i should get it a good wax before i hit up the park? also i been reading that you should "detune" the edges? i say that cos i hit a lot of rails and i dont want to bust my a**. But then again i dont wanna hurt my board cos it was a lot of $$$ lol. also waxing it? i dont wannt to go 90 mph down the slope lol, any suggestions...Id make a new thread but id be just asking the same questions

thanks rodman lol
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mess with the edges. The extr-eco and bataleon/tbt bottom contours don't need any detuning or beveling
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote