Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Are there snowboard cores other than wood available? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/24364-there-snowboard-cores-other-than-wood.html)

zspec1 02-05-2010 09:25 AM

Are there snowboard cores other than wood available?

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a company experimenting with metal, composite plastics, or any other kind of core besides wood?

Leo 02-05-2010 09:49 AM

Arbor uses bamboo cores in some of their boards. I don't know if you still consider that wood. Technically it is still wood I guess.

I believe there are skis made from man-made composite cores though.

killclimbz 02-05-2010 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Isn't the Shaun Palmer (if they make 'em anymore) honeycomb cores a composite? There have been variations on carbon fiber cores and stuff through out the years. Fact of the matter it's pretty much impossible to beat wood cores for performance. Adding stuff like carbon stringers to the wood core seems to be the way to go.

Leo 02-05-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killclimbz (Post 249794)
Isn't the Shaun Palmer (if they make 'em anymore) honeycomb cores a composite? There have been variations on carbon fiber cores and stuff through out the years. Fact of the matter it's pretty much impossible to beat wood cores for performance. Adding stuff like carbon stringers to the wood core seems to be the way to go.

Oh yea, there are boards with honey comb cores or some type of mixture of it. Yea, wood is best.

lisevolution 02-05-2010 12:16 PM

My first board back in the day was a styrofoam core Morrow that I snapped in half my 3rd day out on the mountainl... Palmer still does make that Honey Comb core board. Alternative core materials were big in the late 90's and early 00's when everyone was all about carbon fiber and "techy" materials but really they mostly produced stiff, dead feeling snowboards. Wood is the core of choice because of the diversity of types of wood available and it's different properties to design a core that fits what type of riding you want to do.

zspec1 02-05-2010 05:04 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Seems like wood is the dominant material. The bamboo one, sounds promising given how strong and flexible it is. I wonder I some of the exotic metals, like inconel or titanium would hold up?

Reede 02-05-2010 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Premium boards tend to have aluminium honeycomb cores and the like as well. Burton Vapor and Method etc. They certainly dont come cheap.

killclimbz 02-05-2010 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bamboo is a wood btw...

Reede 02-05-2010 05:19 PM

Yep, it's wood.

CaptT 02-05-2010 05:20 PM

yep....fairy dust.....I'll sell you one....