Recommendation for freestyle/park board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
crazed818

Default Recommendation for freestyle/park board

Hello everyone. I am from So. Cal. and mostly ride at Mt. High, Bear Mtn., and occasionally, Mammoth and Tahoe. I currently ride an 07/08 Burton Custom 151 with Cartel bindings. I love the board as an all-mountain board. I started to really try jibs and jumps towards the end of last season, and I must say, I have progressed quite a bit. Since I'm getting more into the park scene and doing jumps, I want a freestyle/park specific board. The Custom handles all that pretty well, but I feel that it is a bit too stiff for me. I have tried my friend's Hero, but don't like it that much. I considered getting a Custom V-Rocker but have recently changed my mind because I don't want to get the same board (even though it's reverse camber). Then, I considered getting an Easy Living Flying V because I wanted to check out the camber/reverse camber tech. Reason being is that I wanted the camber for the extra pop and reverse camber for the park. However, I didn't have a chance to test one on Burton demo day, so I opted not to get one.

So I have been researching a bit for a freestyle/park specific board and came across these:

1. K2 Jibpan
2. Stepchild Jibstick
3. Capita Horroscope FK
4. Capita Ultrafear FK

I want something that isn't "too soft" because I want to be able to stomp jumps without being scared of washing out; able to press with ease (I cannot press at all with my Custom; feels too stiff, but it also may be due to my weight); basically a board that can handle jibs AND jumps well.

My stats: I'm 5'7" and weigh 120 lbs. I wear sz 8-8.5 boots.

Which board would you recommend out of the ones above and what size? I want to try a smaller board, like a 148-149, but understand that some of the boards don't come in that size. Base on my stats, will I be okay on a smaller board? If anything, I am willing to get a 151 again.

Suggestions?

Last edited by crazed818; 02-05-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shrox

Well right now Im running an '09 custom X and '10 Horrorscope. I'm completely in love with my horrorscope but it is a bit sluggish popping off of boxes and what not. If you'r really looking at something jib/jump friendly I would recomend the Capita Indoor FK hands down.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

iv only tried one of those uv got listed, the horrorscope. my m8 has got one, and we swapped boards for a day.
i would say its a good jib board, quite soft, but it still can handle descent kickers with ease. quite stable at higher speeds too imo. i would say its a great jib board, and a fair board for pow and high speed and so on.

i know some guy who has got the ultrafear too, and he says its awesome, havent got that much knowledge bout it, biut hes well satisfied

id like to add another snowboard to check out: ride machete
i picked it up around christmas, and it has worked out really well for me. i took it to the slopes, and it was easy to just butter around and throwing some presses and stuff on rails. it has a really stable platform with the lowrize rocker. it works great in pow, and handles kickers like a dream. i did some runs on the 25ftkicker on my mountain, and tried out some 3s and a couple of 5s, worked really good.
havent done anything bigger than 35-40ft with it, but there was no such thing as washing out.

i would get a 151-152 board, depends on wich board u choose. i got my machete in 152, and im about ur height, and about 130-135 lbs, works great. and the lowrize rocker actually makes the board feel shorter imo
good luck anyway
1337 ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrox View Post
Well right now Im running an '09 custom X and '10 Horrorscope. I'm completely in love with my horrorscope but it is a bit sluggish popping off of boxes and what not. If you'r really looking at something jib/jump friendly I would recomend the Capita Indoor FK hands down.

just as he said, i got a indoor FK and love it! its stiff enough to handle high speed runs but flexible enough to butter & hit rails all day! id buy another one, only complaint i have is the top sheet edges get beat up pretty bad and chip off
LTshredTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shrox

Yeah Like LTshred said, the top sheet on the horrorscope, like the indoor, tends to be a bit fragile but it's really no big deal. As for the ultrafear, think of the horrorscope as a stairmaster with reverse camber, the ultrafear is basically a stairmaster extreme with reverse camber. I was lucky enough to demo one a while ago and it was awesome! feels like a horrorscope with more pop. It will be a hard board to find and more expensive though. Like I said I would recomend the indoor FK hands down
Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
crazed818

THanks for the reply fellas! I will look into the Indoor FK! \

No one has tried a Jibpan or know anyone who has one? I want to know how that board rides.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ride a jib stick and I'm 5'11 and 140 lbs. Its a 148. Trust me man i was in your position. This board made presses and technical grinds easy for me. I don't know if anyone else has ridden one yet but it is the best board i have ridden thus far. Definitely a good choice.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

i'd say the jibpan out of your list. its the most all around out of your list.

if i was buying with your info in mind, these are the boards i'd look at:

1. NS Evo - made for EXACTLY what you described.
2. K2 Parkstar - friend has one and i really dug the ride i took on it
3. Ride DH2 - the lowrize really adds a jibby touch to this jump killer
Cool_As_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ultrafear or Indoor Survival FK
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, as a burton fanatic I am, I have a long list of burton boards to get
First of, dont get the easy livin flyin v, It is a nice board no doubt, I was bombing down Lookout mountain at northstar with that board, and I found it to be much better at the rest of the mountain then in the park, with the 4/10 flex rating, it isnt a board you may want for just park. the easy livin is more like a board that you want for both park and mountain with its mid flex stiffness.

If you really like the easy livin, just get the standard camber one.

Boards to try,
The X8 is a sweet board to try. even though it has v-rocker
the fix is another rocker board that is park descent
and the dominant and ConDom are also good, the condom is a little softer, and is a zerocamber board.

Other cambered boards are
Deuce- a soft park board w/o EST
Twin- a board that I own, it is a little stiff, but it will work, it is twin shape and flex. with 4/10 flex rating

Non burotn

Capita sierrascope
Ride DH/DH2

Check em all out
kquan is offline   Reply With Quote