Dangerous or Not - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Baldie

Default Dangerous or Not

I'm 5'10" about 220lbs and was given a 157cm board a few years back but never used it (brand new just board). Instead of renting equipment each time I thought I would save myself some money and use the board and purchase bindings and boots. Currently right now alot of deals especially towards end of season. Guidelines I've found is that this board would not be recommended because of my height and weight. Are these guidelines should be followed? Would I be endangering myself by using the board?

I'm just a recreational boarder, nothing fancy. I live in CA and typically go to the ski resorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's not dangerous. Just not ideal. How well it works out for you will be determained by what terrain your are on and how stiff the board is. My friend has no trouble riding his 159 at 5'9" 230lbs. One thing is for sure though. Rental boots and rental bindings suck.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you are not going to put yourself in any danger of some weird equipment malfunction like the board snapping if thats what you are imagining. These older general guidelines of height/weight to suggested board size have really become close to obsolete, especially with how boards are now so specific to riding styles. I had a car accident a few years back and was immobile for much of the summer and as a result started the season at close to 230 lbs on a 156 noodley park board.
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
I'm 5'10" about 220lbs and was given a 157cm board a few years back but never used it (brand new just board). Instead of renting equipment each time I thought I would save myself some money and use the board and purchase bindings and boots. Currently right now alot of deals especially towards end of season. Guidelines I've found is that this board would not be recommended because of my height and weight. Are these guidelines should be followed? Would I be endangering myself by using the board?

I'm just a recreational boarder, nothing fancy. I live in CA and typically go to the ski resorts.
Well depending on how hard you push yourself, snowboarding in general can be dangerous. A 157cm board is probably going to be too flexible, and probably not damp enough. The only time height really matters is when it comes to stance width, and still that's preference.

You could use a 157, but it might not be very fun and you might find it difficult to use.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Baldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
Well depending on how hard you push yourself, snowboarding in general can be dangerous. A 157cm board is probably going to be too flexible, and probably not damp enough. The only time height really matters is when it comes to stance width, and still that's preference.

You could use a 157, but it might not be very fun and you might find it difficult to use.
I don't really push myself to the limit if thats what you mean. I consider myself still a beginner. I only stick to the beginner and intermidiate trails whenever I go. Plus I ride maybe 2 or 3 days out of the year at the most. Last year didn't get any time in though.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
I don't really push myself to the limit if thats what you mean. I consider myself still a beginner. I only stick to the beginner and intermidiate trails whenever I go. Plus I ride maybe 2 or 3 days out of the year at the most. Last year didn't get any time in though.
I just meant that as general commentary.

Your board is not going to be particularly dangerous, but as a beginner you should probably pick a board more suited to your dimensions. If you ride only a couple days a year you're just fine with the board you have. Keep in mind, you're probably not going to progress with that board though.

If at some point you take the noodle down a steeper hill, especially if it's choppy, things can get hairy if you don't know what you're doing.

And renting bindings and boots is so much of a pain in the ass you might as well rent the whole deal, especially since your board isn't ideal.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

im 200+ and i can ride a 151 just fine

then again, im pretty much a badass

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post

Haha :P It's all in ability. I definitely wouldn't recommend a beginner riding a 151 weighting 200+
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Baldie

Well I'm just trying to save myself $$$. I mean I ride 2 to 3 times a year recreationally so I didn't want to have to go out and spend $400+ on equipment. I actually went to my local sports shop and they had a season ending clearance on their gear. What would have cost me maybe $300 on boots and bindings I got for $120, so I definitely save money there. Their boards were still going for $100+ but I figured since I already had this board, saved myself some money there.

I guess I'll deal with it at least this season. I can always use my bindings and boots on another board if I choose to get one next season.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post

Word. I'm 180 and i can ride a 148 easily.
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote