Freeride board questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
CrustyButt

Default Freeride board questions

I've been living in Crested Butte for 3 years now and have become a die-hard fan of Never Summer because of it. I have been riding either a 166 NS Legacy (06/07) or a 161 NS Premier (07/08). They're both awesome boards, but neither is quite right for me. I stick to mostly double blacks and trees, which makes me love the 161. But getting to and from the T-bars has become hazardous as this board gets squirelly at high speeds (I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs). The 166 is my groomer boomer, super fast and stable, but is punishing to try and haul through trees and tighter runs. I will be getting a 163 premier but I was wondering if there are any other big-mountain boards that compare to NS durability and stiffness but are lighter or have other benefits not found on a NS. I have heard the Ride Slackcountry and Concept are good, as is the Atomic Banger, but I haven't had the opportunity to ride or demo many boards. I ride Rome Arsenal SDS with Salomon F20 boots. The boots need to be replaced and I'm thinking either Salomon Malamutes or some stiff 32 boots. Thanks for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, I was going to recommend an NS Heritage, but I see you're looking for non-NS. The Heritage was pretty much designed for what you're describing.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

capita black speed of death is a pretty stiff bomber deck from what I hear. Arbor makes some pretty good cambered freeride decks
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do you want a agile tree board, or a bomber board?

It sounds like your asking for some magical board that is perfect for both...your Premiers as close as its gonna get lol..i wouldnt bother with a 163 unless your replacing an old one with a newer -R..that could fix your issue as ive heard it rides quite differently.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

What about a K2 Turbo Dream. You can get a slightly shorter board with the same effective edge, it's got rocker and it still handles the powder. IT should be good in the trees.
mani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've heard good things about Ride Concept UL (although they're replacing it in 2011) and Slackcountry.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
makeyourmarque

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyButt View Post
I've been living in Crested Butte for 3 years now and have become a die-hard fan of Never Summer because of it. I have been riding either a 166 NS Legacy (06/07) or a 161 NS Premier (07/08). They're both awesome boards, but neither is quite right for me. I stick to mostly double blacks and trees, which makes me love the 161. But getting to and from the T-bars has become hazardous as this board gets squirelly at high speeds (I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs). The 166 is my groomer boomer, super fast and stable, but is punishing to try and haul through trees and tighter runs. I will be getting a 163 premier but I was wondering if there are any other big-mountain boards that compare to NS durability and stiffness but are lighter or have other benefits not found on a NS. I have heard the Ride Slackcountry and Concept are good, as is the Atomic Banger, but I haven't had the opportunity to ride or demo many boards. I ride Rome Arsenal SDS with Salomon F20 boots. The boots need to be replaced and I'm thinking either Salomon Malamutes or some stiff 32 boots. Thanks for any opinions.
I'm going to Sainte Foy to test the 2011 Atomic range, The Banger is 1 of the 1s on my test lest as there is going to be plenty of powder by the looks of it, I can keep you posted on its performance if you like? I can vouch for their quality if their previous installments are anything to go by.