Beginner needs some sage advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner needs some sage advice

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm still a beginner. I'm 5"5 in height and my current weight is 145 (trying to get to 140-142, : P). My shoes are US9. I'm an athletic person but I need to get in better condition/shape. I've been using rental equipment every time I have gone snowboarding and I can say it was hard to learn on them especially linking my turns. I have only snowboarded 3 times (4 days in total) and I'm still learning to link my turns. I'm able to do it sometimes but would usually wipe out after some time because: a. I was going to fast or b. My legs are tired.

I have done my fair bit of research and also visited almost all the board shops in my city. I decided I would go for a rocker/reverse camber type board. I'm looking at the Ride Machete and K2 WWW. Which one of these boards are stiffer? If you have another suggestion, please do tell. What size of board should I get? I was a bit confused about the sizing because some say use the chin or nose height and then I read here that it is actually weight based. What I want to get out of my new board is learn how to ride with control and link turns smoothly. My budget for the boots, bindings and board is US$560.Should I buy the best boot and get used bindings/board? I've heard the boot the is the most important part.

Last edited by Old_Snake; 02-07-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Snake View Post
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm still a beginner. I'm 5"5 in height and my current weight is 145 (trying to get to 140-142, : P). My shoes are US9. I'm an athletic person but I need to get in better condition/shape because. I've been using rental equipment every time I have gone snowboarding and I can say it was hard to learn on them especially linking my turns. I have only snowboarded 3 times (4 days in total) and I'm still learning to link my turns. I'm able to do it sometimes but would usually wipe out after some time because: a. I was going to fast or b. My legs are tired.

I have done my fair bit of research and also visited almost all the board shops in my city. I decided I would go for a rocker/reverse camber type board. I'm looking at the Ride Machete and K2 WWW. Which one of these boards are stiffer? If you have another suggestion, please do tell. What size of board should I get? I was a bit confused about the sizing because some say use the chin or nose height and then I read here that it is actually weight based. What I want to get out of my new board is learn how to ride with control and link turns smoothly. My budget for the boots, bindings and board is US$560.Should I buy the best boot and get used bindings/board? I've heard the boot the is the most important part.
151ish in size(which coincidentally will be at your chin, but it does matter on weight)
Both popular boards...but theres no way your getting one of those regular price + boots bindings for less than 550..
Boots are the most important yes.
Goto your local shop and try on as many boots as you can..try size 8.5..9..9.5's...just to get an idea if your really a 9 for new boots..your shoe size is typically a bit bigger since you want a snug fit for boots....wear them around the shop for a bit...rock toe to heel to see if your heel rises(too big/bad fitting boot) or you find yourself scrunching your toes(too small/bad fit). As just a general starting point at full price a lot of the better boots start around $200 and go up from there.
Then either buy the boots there, or with that knowledge start web shopping...a lot of shops online are starting their sales in the next month or two..so if you arent in a killer rush to get stuff NOW you can save a lot of money and get better gear for next season.

Shops like Sierrasnowboard.com, Evogear.com, The-house.com all usually have good deals on stuff...

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
theo9909

Is the ride machete a good board for a beginner? I've gone a few times and hate the rentals I've been using. I'm thinking about getting the machete since I've been picking everything up quick and want a board that will last as I progress.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chainsaw

The Ride Machete is fucking awesome.. You should be fine on it.. the reverse cam on the board will be forgiving for beginner mistakes. And you will have room to grow into that board for when you get better..
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
theo9909

Thanks for the input! It seems like an awesome board for almost any level! Time to get one and start carving the hills!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo9909 View Post
Thanks for the input! It seems like an awesome board for almost any level! Time to get one and start carving the hills!
I already bought the Ride Machete and I'm very happy with the purchase! I already went to Sunshine Village with it for 2 days and I have improved significantly.
Old_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote