girl posted this in welcome thread, what size board?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
BrianBlueMT

Default girl posted this in welcome thread, what size board??

hello. im a shorter bigger girl. im about 5 3 and 195 right now. i bought a new 5150 159cm vice 08 board, with k2 indy bindings, and burton womens casa boots.

overall its been an ok ride so far. seems a little big for my height. im working on snowboarding as much as i can so i can help lose some of this weight ive gained recently. it really seems i need a shorter board, turning seems to be whats hurting me most right now and where my falls happen at....

any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Board length is based more on weight than height. At your stated weight, the 159, IMO, is spot on. You can probably go as low as a 155, which will definitely be more forgiving for beginners.

If you're looking to lose some weight, I don't think snowboarding is the answer. Diet review, more aerobic activities such as running, and a good toning regimen in the gym will help you achieve your goal better.

GL.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Red face

snowboarding is definitely not my answer to losing weight, just more assistance in staying active and slowly taking it back off and keeping it off. snowboarding burns around 250+ calories an hr and its fun to do so why not? my diet is already most of the time salad, when i get the chance to eat, im a pretty busy delivery driver and was using my time off to sleep, but have instead been using it to snowboard now. im active in every season except winter... this is my first winter back in the NE... and i gained close to 35lbs on just being back here.... and not active. 160 is my pretty much ideal-low unless i ever opted for breast reduction surgery...

tuesday morning when i get up im going to go look at some more boards. ill check out some 155s
ic3_qu33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Board size

Here's a link to my site with info on sizing boards. Just as important is the second link on the page that explains the whys and the exceptions.

I think you're riding way too large, assuming you're not not super advanced and riding deep powder. I'd look for something 151 - 153.

Good luck with the weight fight. I've fought it all my life and I'm starting to win long term. I know it's hard. Don't give up. It's worth it.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

i looked at that frostyrider.com doing my research and they recommended the same thing for me the 153 thats what i was orginally looking into but i kept reading 158-161.. so thats what i got definitely going to look at boards tuesday morning after i wake up and sell my 5150 or keep it for when i get more advanced and i want to strictly downhill in fresh deep snow?
ic3_qu33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default boards

It's okay...you can always buy another.

Look...I'm over 6 foot and 220 - 230 pounds. My boards run around 161 - 163. I ride serious powder with that size. It's a bit small in Japan, where there isn't as much pitch in the powder but it works everywhere else. I've ridden a long time. If I was riding on the groom, I could ride 158 easy.

Rent something smaller and try it. You'll see. Everything will be easier.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantp View Post
I think you're riding way too large, assuming you're not not super advanced and riding deep powder. I'd look for something 151 - 153.
What the?!

A 151 is definitely far to short for 195 pounds, where a 159 is pretty spot on for the weight, through you're fairly short, meaning that a more narrow stance is necessary, so a slightly shorter board than you would expect from the weight is probably a good idea. That means that you should be fine on a 155, but definitely do not go shorter than that at your current weight.

And yes, your falls happens when you try to turn and it's the turns that are hard. That's not because your board is too long, but because that's how it works when you're starting out - the turns are hard. While a shorter board would make it slightly easier, you would still be falling a lot, everyone does.

All of the above is of course just my opinion.
Surrendermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great to hear you're getting into snowboarding. This is my first season, and I'm loving it. Having made a move from the South (Florida) up North, I definitely understand the gaining weight part, especially during the winter. Between the cold weather and shorter days, I was much less active, and even though snowboarding probably isn't the best calorie burning activity in the world, winter sports in general got me out of the house and increased my energy level 10-fold. The sport definitely has a steep learning curve, though. My first few times out, my day always ended because I was just too sore to keep going. One day, though, everything seemed to just click. And although I'm certainly not shredding the slope at Mach 2 or doing 720s in the terrain park, I actually feel comfortable on the board, which is a great feeling.

Best of luck. These guys have been a great help to me, and it sounds like they're giving you some good advice.
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default snowboard size

Normally I'd agree...go a bit longer. But she's short and riding groom. The learning curve is better short. I find I'm going shorter all the time, except for the deep, wide-open stuff.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rooster King

while 151 may be getting too short for 195# IMHO a 159 is way too long for 5'3" - too much nose and tail on the outsides of your feet will make you catch edges more and easier...

a 154 is probably right in there... maybe 157 max (big step down from 159 even tho its only 2cm), but you're in the NE so not much pow to shred...

i'd say look for a 154 with a fairly aggressive sidecut and some good snappy flex - do not get a park noodle

just my opinion
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote