Ouch, first day snowboarding.... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

I can't live in Washington State, it's waaaay too humid for me. That's why I want to move West, the dry air (and open spaces).

Besides, I'd open my mouth and all the crazy hippies in Seattle would want to fight me, and I'd be too tired to shoot OR snowboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
VinceTastical

Default Ouch is right...

My first day was slightly more glorious than that...Although I had no formal lessons, I went up with a buddy who's been boarding for a few more years and had the patience to teach me. I went down the bunnies a few times to get the basics.

I fell a few times, but nothing that bad. Then he took me on a green and I didn't fall once. Then came these famous last words, "You're ready for the summit!"

I think he was just looking to get a few cheap laughs and get some more challenging runs in, but to his surprise I kept up for a while...

I did fall pretty badly once that day and had to call it quits for the night, but all in all I was only sore the next day from riding, not falling.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Carbine

Well time for a kind fo sucess story. Thursday we had a nice storm come in so I called in to work ("Roads are soo bad and my car is stuck" lol) and head up 40miles with my friend to the mountain. We had about 5" of nice powder. Got on my new board, went up the bunny hill, got on/off the lift fine. And went about 100' down the hill fine...Until I cought an edge and was stuck on the ground trying to figure out how to get up. So i finally get up and stumble about 50' down the hill to relize my goggles fell off...So unstrap, walk to get them stap back in a fall about 4 more times. So then I decided I was ready for some blue trails...LOL and I did soo much better. By about 4 runs I was doing fine. I was keeping up with my buddy who has been boarding for about 2 years but he had one of the most shityest rentals. So by the end of 5 hours I was doing little 360s on the ground and running down a bunch of hills.

So I went back up today...Packed powder. Get up there and start going and BAM! Flat on my face. I did this about 10 times down the hill. Powder was soo much more forgiving. All in all I fell really hard about 10 times today (Flat on my face, flips, rolls, hit a tree, good stuff) and about 30 small falls. One fall was cool b/c I fell on my face, fliped heals over head and poped back up on my board. But by the 5th hour today I had it down. I was even riding a little switch.

Oh and I did try a jump...bad idea. I forgot to stay sideways and turned my body forwards...Ground to face, I looked like and asshole...lol.

All in all...Boarding is alot funer than skiing. I am kind of addicted now and want to get better. I find my self wanting to call in to work and go board. Luckly skool is almost out!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
xevi89

After you know what you are doiong and develope some muscle memory, it should be your core that gets the most work. Just stick with it and you'll get better in no time.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
All in all...Boarding is alot funer than skiing. I am kind of addicted now and want to get better.
Heh. Welcome to heroin. One thing to be mindful off...people often take the worst slams after they start getting the basic downs and can handle a bit of speed. The problem is that they know how to handle a board, but can quickly get in over their head and catch an edge. If you think that doing that hurts onow, just wait until the first time you do it with some serious speed. The point, be even more cautious of what your doing after you start really riding!

As for work, I often find the "my dog needs to go to the vets" excuse works well.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Carbine

Well how about this? I ride regular with a 15/-15 duck stance right now. And I've noticed most of my wrecks are b/c the back of the board works its way out. Here is the board going down the hill (^downhill^) | and it ends up like this \ so then I end up catching my front edge and falling on my face. This happens mostly when im riding faster. Im guessing it is b/c I have too much weight on my front foot? Or back foot mabey, IDK.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Well how about this? I ride regular with a 15/-15 duck stance right now. And I've noticed most of my wrecks are b/c the back of the board works its way out. Here is the board going down the hill (^downhill^) | and it ends up like this \ so then I end up catching my front edge and falling on my face. This happens mostly when im riding faster. Im guessing it is b/c I have too much weight on my front foot? Or back foot mabey, IDK.
That was one of my main problems today. I kept getting all \ because I was putting too much weight on my rear foot. I'm remounting my bindings to a 15 front and 0 rear tomorrow if I can move my body without it hurting...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
drrice

if you dont want to fog up your glasses think about getting perscription lenses. it would help out ALOT
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrice
if you dont want to fog up your glasses think about getting perscription lenses. it would help out ALOT
Any idea where to start looking?

I did that for snorkeling, and while extremely expensive it was worth it.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
drrice

a local shop I went in to look for new A frame lenses and saw that they offered them in perscription. Just go into a local shop that sells oakleys and they can order them. Same price as online.