Ouch, first day snowboarding.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Default Ouch, first day snowboarding....

So today I went to 7 Springs in Southern PA to learn to snowboard. I got there at 9 am, bought a lift ticket and a 10am lesson, and tried to snowboard down to the lift...successfuly! I felt pretty confident so I went up. Got to the top and went down the little lift ramp perfectly. Then I got halfway down the first double green circle run that I chose, and must have spent 95% of the time on my ass or my face. I screwed up both my shoulders falling and had the wind knocked out of me a half dozen times. I would get going, then try to transition from toe to heel side and catch an edge and flop forward superman style, or spin in a circle and fall on my ass. I got halfway down and couldn't do it anymore, had to shamefully walk down the run to the waiting area for snowboard class. No one else signed up so I ended up getting a private lesson for half price. The instructor was very very helpful, when I did what he said I was rocking for 3-4 carves at a time before I fell over. Then I got tired, like I couldn't even move tired. We struggled down the mountain, with me trying to do something and my out of shape legs not responding. Add the fact that they were blowing this watery icy snow everywhere and it was terrible. We got down and I collapsed, had to cut the lesson short because I just couldn't go on. It pissed me off because if I was in better shape I would have had a fun day.

So now I know the basics. I'm resting today (witha bruise on my head, both knees, my ass, and two messed up shoulders) and tomorrow playing City Of Heroes then giving it another go on Monday.

All in all it was a productive day, I can't wait to give it another try with a fresh body and all the tips I got.

How'd you all do on your first day on a snowboard?

Oh, any tips on goggles that won't fog up my nerd glasses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Geez....my first day was like 20 years ago. I don't remeber it much. Hah. However, I've seen numerous other friends go through their "first day" over the years. They are all usually quite sore the following day(s). As for goggles...talk to someone at a pro-shop. The need to fit right. High-end models come with little fans in them to help deal with moister.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf
To reacitvate the antifog properties, a Smith rep told me to take a cup of water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergents, swish it around, puor it on the inside of the lense and then let it air dry.
Oh, sweet. I'm gonna have to give that a try. Mine are a little...well, disfunctional at the moment when its moist (hate that word) out.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your first day. No worries...everyone had a first day at one point in time. I remember feeling way sore the next day as it uses muscles you're not used to using. Whatever you do, don't let any frustration get the better of you. We all go through frustrations but once you get the hang of things you'll love it even more.

Good luck on Monday!
EC99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My first day was equally painful. I skipped the lessons because I'm a moron. I had purple knees and swollen wrists by the next morning and I was so sore I could hardly move. The high point came when I tried to brake as I went over ice and my board went up over my head and I smacked my noggin on the ice. Lost my goggles and gloves and spent 30 minutes sitting off to the side before I regained my senses enough to walk down. I doubt anyone had a glorious first day, but it's almost always fun, even with the pain.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Thanks guys

The best news is that my wife is going to school for physical therapy, so I'm getting awesome massages all day
Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

haha, mine too. PT's and snowboarders. Like chocolate and peanut butter.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana
haha, mine too. PT's and snowboarders. Like chocolate and peanut butter.
And when she's rich, we're moving to Utah or Colorado, where I'll sit on my porch and shoot things all day in the Summer and work ski patrol in the Winter.

That is, if she doesn't leave me for having such lazy dreams...
Old 12-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
hoboinluckytown

lol sounds like a plan wheelgunner. Also if you spit in your goggles it keeps them from fogging too. Idk why but it works.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lol, wheelgunner. Are you my evil twin? I have the same thoughts floating around in my head. We're actually moving to Washington state. I say it's because she can get a good job there at a hospital in Yakima, but I always think about Crystal Mountain and Steven's Pass....