Is your board to tall for you?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is your board to tall for you??

Anybody ride a board that most other people think is way to big for them? or for that matter, a board that is too small for them? I have a 161.5 that I havent tried yet, up from a converting to a 153 after using a 156 last season which looks like its almost the same length as the 161.5 I picked up. Just wanted to know who has a longer board for their weight and if they love it or loathe it, and try to stick to posting if you have something to say about your own experiences; I didnt include my weight, experience or riding style on here so please no trying to deduce reasons for why you think it would work for me or not, I just want to hear if there is anybody there that feels comfortable with a board that seems to be either very small or very large for them. I hear so much about how you have to properly size your board but does anybody here just try to make their board work instead of make their board work for them?
meckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've got a buddy that can't be more than 5'10" 160 and he shreds like a madman on a 167. Hell, according to a lot of the advice I see on here, my 160 NS Heritage is too big for me at 5'11" 190. Ride whatever you're comfortable on.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

They're just general guidelines, as the poster above said, personal preference>all.

It's easier for a beginner to learn on a board that would be closer to the "recommended" size though. They can use their size to manipulate the board while still having it be long enough to provide enough stability for the task at hand (theoretically).
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

yes im having problems with the board i just bought. i used to snowboard during HS about 5 years back now (im 24 now) all throughout jr and hs... i always used rental boards, so i had them picked out for me...

i researched many different places and i found that 158-161 was my "ideal size". because of my short height 5'3" and weighing close to 200lbs (gained weight this year from being inactive in the winter). im having so much trouble with it....
ic3_qu33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My first board really didn't work for me. It was slightly long, but I think it was the torsional stiffness that just killed me. The problem was pronounced enough to keep me from learning to link turns. After about 5 days on the hill and infinite frustrations, I switched to a slightly shorter, much more flexible board and I was turning immediately. Since then I've tried boards at the longer end of what I should ride and the shorter end of what I should ride and there is a pronounced difference. I just like the feeling of a light, nimble board.

So yeah, we're not all the same. I'm sure there are some people that can make it work regardless, but for me it just wasn't worth the frustration. I switched in favor of actually enjoying myself.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

im going to be buying a new board tuesday morning... ive gotten a little bit advice ive heard i could try anything from a mens 147 to 153/155. i think im going to aim for the 153 and go from there keep the longer board for when i feel like just shooting down a hill ysknow. im gonna let you know how it goes when i get off the slopes tuesday night from greek peak!
ic3_qu33n is offline   Reply With Quote