If it ain't broke... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
darckeen

Default If it ain't broke...

I'd consider myself an expert freerider. A pure freerider/bomber, I don't do jumps, ride switch, never hit the parks, ollie or butter. When I started riding 20 years ago all my friends were skiers so the style I developed was all about conquering gnarly terrain. Steeps, chutes, trees, double blacks and moguls.

So now I need a new board. Should I consider one of the newer techs, most notably ns r.c. or should I just stick to what I know and get a regular old camber board. I'm still considering ns, just wondering if I’d be happier getting a 2009 w/o the rc.

Another issue is ice though; it’s the one terrain that I find sketchy. Is the varrio grip worth the trade off in the difference in feel from rc?

I guess the best question to ask seasoned riders, how was the transition to rc and do you love it or instead prefer the old regular camber models?

Also I live in the east coast so I've got no chance of demoing a ns, I could probably demo something in the burton line that might be comparable though.

Last edited by darckeen; 02-08-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I assumed you've always ridden a regular camber board? If so, I'd recommend trying to demo an RC board before making the leap to buying one. You may find that you simply like regular camber more, especially for the type of riding you do.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
darckeen

Are there any burtons that have a rocker that feels similar to the never summers? Cause there's basically no way i can test a ns anytime soon.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nope its pretty unique..Burton does a V rocker which is different...

And it will feel completely different because the boards themselves will feel quite different...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

tbh if it were me id stick with regular camber .. theres nothing wrong with it its just not cool atm... for what you ride and what you like to do camber sounds like the best option.... reverse is great for butters rails and does have the extra benefit of helping float in powder easier. Reverse camber is weakest on groomed hardpack speed runs which seems to be what you like.. thats why all the rc boards have some sort of edge gimmick to hopefully bolster this one shortcoming. demo one just to give it the old college try you never know....
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe you should look at the T.Rice MTX - magnetraction for ice, but no reverse camber. I'm trying the C2 (banana & regular camber combined) version of this board tomorrow.
T.Rice MTX Lib Tech Snowboards
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
darckeen

Thats a great idea, lemme know how the demo goes for sure.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

i got a sneak peek at NS's new board for 2010-11, the raptor, and i think it will be what you're looking for. they describe it as a freeride/freecarve specific board. they changed the RC profile on this board to make the tech fit a true directional shape, meaning set back RC, which gives a longer camber section in the nose and shorter in the tail. this allows for better carving ability on ice and groomers and easier float in pow.

the vario will definitely work out east. the new carbonium topsheet and dampening layer is supposed make for a smoother ride as well.

if you can wait till next season. this might be the board for you.

PS for those who loved the old black and orange legacy graphics, you'll LOVE the graphics on the raptor. thing looks fucking BADASS
Cool_As_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
darckeen

That sounds pretty sweet, did they do the same thing to the premier or only the raptor?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Nope its pretty unique..Burton does a V rocker which is different...

And it will feel completely different because the boards themselves will feel quite different...
No, pretty much everyone has some sort of rocker/camber hybrid/mix/whatever. Burton has "Flying V", Mervin has C2, NS has RC, I think Nitro has Gull Wing or something.

Everyone has it, but they are all going to ride different. I have found with rocker you really should try first if at all possible. I have liked some rocker a lot, but not liked quite a few also.

--rick
SnowProRick is offline   Reply With Quote