Want to start snowboarding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Death Metal

Default Want to start snowboarding

I am new. How did you guess?

I live right by a decent skiing/snowboarding mountain and can get a season pass pretty cheap and need something to do next winter. My question is how much will it cost to get a decent setup? I would guess with the info you guys have available nobody will be able to guess exactly. I just want to know if it's gonna be around $300-$400 or $600-$700.

Is this the correct forum section?

Last edited by Death Metal; 02-08-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can spend whatever you want..

We need weight and shoe size to atleast tell you what size of board to look for...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Death Metal

weight 130 lbs and shoe size 10.5-11. With boots maybe a little smaller. I want something decent I don't won't a couple pieces of shit. I didn't work my ass of this summer for nothing.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Metal View Post
weight 130 lbs and shoe size 10.5-11. With boots maybe a little smaller. I want something decent I don't won't a couple pieces of shit. I didn't work my ass of this summer for nothing.
With a shoe size that large who will probably want to check out boards that are mid-wide to wide.

Bindings will be large.

A complete set-up will probably run between 500-600. If you provide details about what kind of rider you are, Beginner, Intermediate, etc,. And what style of riding you like to do i.e. freestyle, backcountry, freeride, carving, big-mountain. We can probably get pretty specific with price for potential set-ups.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bindings are going to be specific with each company. Make sure you check which boot sizes go with which binding sizes.
I'm an 11.5 and I can still use a normal board, so I wouldn't imagine that you need a wide to be honest.

Definitely will need to know your style, bro. Do you see yourself doing mainly groomers or mainly park?

Timing wise you're perfect. 2009 stuff is already pretty cheap and 2010 stuff is starting to get there. Without going into any specifics, you'll probably want to stick with bigger name companies (Ride, K2, Rome, Burton, NeverSummer (won't be cheap), Lib-Tech, and GNU among some others). If you want to go real cheap, you can usually pick up some decent stuff used.

Now, regarding where your money should be spent...
Number one priority is a good fitting set of boots. To be completely honest, my boots cost just as much (if not a bit more) than my board did. It doesn't matter how good of a board you have, if your feet are hurting you won't have fun.
I'd go with a board next, then pick up some bindings.

Also...
YOU WILL BE BUYING A HELMET.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alucard

OP, have you considered renting before buying? Perhaps you could start with a lesson package. What if you end up not liking snowboarding?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Death Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
With a shoe size that large who will probably want to check out boards that are mid-wide to wide.

Bindings will be large.

A complete set-up will probably run between 500-600. If you provide details about what kind of rider you are, Beginner, Intermediate, etc,. And what style of riding you like to do i.e. freestyle, backcountry, freeride, carving, big-mountain. We can probably get pretty specific with price for potential set-ups.
I am a beginner. Downhill on a groomed mountain mostly. I looked around a little and thought i would want an all mountain board.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Death Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
OP, have you considered renting before buying? Perhaps you could start with a lesson package. What if you end up not liking snowboarding?
I wanted to see how much it would cost before I started. I can rent but it will cost a fortune after a couple times. I will do that to make sure I like it. Money talks. . .
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Death Metal

I was doing a little research and found that wrist injuries are pretty common. Mabye I won't be snowboarding bc I play guitar and having a broken wrist would suck total balls.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a car and need legs to drive, but it don't scare me none.
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote