Board Recommendation? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
adk

Default Board Recommendation?

So my girl has gotten into snowboarding this season, and now she's interested in getting her own stuff. She's 5'0'', about 100 lbs. She's been up a few times this year, and she can get down the mountain, but she has a hard time stringing together her turns. She's not really going to spend any time in the park, so she's looking for a good freeride board to continue to learn on. We went to a couple of local shops recently, and we saw a 2010 5150 Amethyst board in 141. It seemed decent for the price and all. Anyone know anything about that board? Any other recomendations?

And we could get a good deal on that board with Burton Stilleto bindings. Any thoughts on those?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by adk; 02-08-2010 at 10:50 PM.
adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get her something middle of the road like a Flow. 5150 boards are considered lower end due to durability and build quality.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bypass Flow and 5150 and get her a decent board when they all start to go on sale within a few weeks. The Capita Space Metal Fantasy is a solid deck, and not expensive by any means. Also look at: K2 Luna, Burton Lux, Rome Vinyl, Atomic Fallen Angel, Gnu B-nice.

If she is having a hard time linking turns, get her a freestyle deck - it will be softer and easier to learn on - rather than a freeride deck.

For the love of God, stay away from Burton Stilettos. They were my first bindings: total crap for the price you pay. Go with Ride Vxn bindings instead. Or if you are willing to spend more: look for deals on last years K2 Virtues, Ride Dvas, or Rome Madisons.

I'm about her size and learned on a 143. I currently ride a 141 and love it.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
adk

Thanks for the feedback. I think going with a freestyle board makes sense. Looks like the Capita Space Metal Fantasy would be a good choice, but it only comes in 143. Same goes for the Rome Vinyl. The B-nice doesn't come in anything shorter than 145. I think those might be too long.

The Atomic Fallen Angel 141 might work out well. The K2 Luna 138 and the Burton Lux 139 look like good boards, will those not be forgiving enough? Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by adk; 02-08-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Any of the boards you mentioned should be forgiving enough to learn on, but solid enough to ride for a few years. It is too bad that some of them don't come smaller than a 145, though.

Like I said, I am 5'0" and 105 pounds. I learned on a 143. A 141 would be perfect, but I'm not sure I would go too much smaller. A 138 is just tiny!

The board I learned on was a Ride Rapture 143. It treated me well. I bought it cheap, rode it for one season, then sold it on eBay. That might be another good option for your girl.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
She's 5'0'', about 100 lbs.
Damm thats small...what is she asian? haha

my girl has stilletto bindings and she loves them.
Dont know much abt the 5150 board, but i got her a never summer infinity and she loves that board too

after 3 times of riding, she is right on my ass on blue trails. i was pretty impressed

Look into the infinity, its very flexy and forgiving. You cant go wrong with that combo.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
adk

What about the Burton Feather 140? Sounds like a good fit for her. Any thoughts?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Feather is a great board to learn on. I generally don't recommend it simply because I have heard so many people complain that they outgrew it after just a few days on the mountain. So I would recommend it for a timid beginner only.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
kls

I have the Burton Lux and I love it. I had only gone 3-4 times tops before I bought my own board so I definitely recommend it for progression. Its good middle skill level board, she shouldn't out grow it too soon, so it's worth the money.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have bought equipment for each of my last two girlfriends and taught them to ride. My two cents is to buy the board off season and NOT to buy a cheap model board. Directional twin tip is what you are after.

Forum Star and Palmer Truth are what they used, and I would recommend either. You can find deals for quality boards at around $200 if you know where to look (sierra snowboards).
sepdxsnwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote