Newbie looking for some advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
portagyplaya12

Question Newbie looking for some advice

Hey everyone. So I went boarding for the first time recently, and I had a great time the entire weekend I was there. Taught myself the basics, finally learned to turn and stop etc, and had a blast going down the mountain.

The rental board I was using however didn't feel very great IMO, and I'm definitely interested in purchasing a board of my own to learn on. I am not familiar with many brands or board specs, so I'm not really sure what to look for when purchasing a board. I am 5'11", 150lbs, and have a size 10.5 foot. Now, I don't need anything very fancy or anything, I'm just looking for something that would be a little cheaper and a bit more forgiving to learn on. I will be riding mostly man-made snow, not powder, and I don't really plan on doing any tricks or racing or anything like that.

What would be the best type of board for someone like me? What size/width should I be looking for, roughly? What are some decent beginner boards that fall into my specs? I've checked a few packages online and such but I don't really know good from bad so I figured I'd come here and ask the experts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

You sound like a comfortable 157-158cm all-mountain snowboard with size large bindings.

I haven't done enough research to get with specifics, but I hope this will get you looking in the right direction with regards to size at least. People will throw some good suggestions at you here.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
portagyplaya12

Awesome, that's more or less the type of answer I was hoping to get Hopefully someone can suggest some sort of setup for me. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just a heads up, if you're buying a "package" I'd advise just getting board and bindings. Buying a package with boots may be cheaper but boot fittment is very important, many people will tell you proper fitting boots are the most important part of your set-up. Don't think that just because the boots are your size means they'll fit. A lot of people found out the hard way when learning. Try boots on at a shop, wear them for at least 15 minutes, search the boot fitting guides here on the forums to know how they should fit (sorry pressed for time or I'd write it out)

In terms of boards, every company makes entry level boards. Some people here are loyal to the brand they ride so they will suggest a board from "that company", HAt this point it's better for you to show us what you have seen and what you're considering and we can give feedback accordingly. Also what is your budget?
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
portagyplaya12

I meant a board/binding package, I should've specified that in my first post, sorry. There are a couple shops in my area that carry a pretty decent selection of boots, but not so much boards, which is why I'd rather buy the board/bindings online and get the boots locally. And what do you mean by what I've seen/considered? I don't really know the difference between the brands or types of boards, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Not sure what the average price range is for a beginner setup, but maybe $300?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm just throwing a few out there. Sounds like you may need a mid-wide board so I'm posting them here too..

Save on Burton Clash Comic LTD Board & Binding Package - Mens

Save on K2 Anagram Board & Binding Package - Mens

Save on Ride Kink Board & Binding Package - Mens

All I mean was if you've seen a package deal you liked and was in your price range we could give you feedback on the specific board and features, compare, etc.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
portagyplaya12

Aah I got it, my b. I'll look through some of the packages and maybe post a few of em up. Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
TohaG

Since we're on the topic of beginner boards, how does Stepchild Chi Borg (StepChild Snowboards 2010 Snowboards) do as a beginner board? I'm a beginner myself and I've been eying it. I've read some reviews and it seems to be a decent quality board for good all mountain riding potential and plenty of freestyle potential for when I'm a bit better and more comfortable on the board. Will reverse camber have a negative effect on my learning experience as a newbie? Thanks a lot!