Newb but want my own equipment - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Starbuck208

Default Help please! Need board/bindings/boots recs!

I'm a newbie at snowboarding, I've only been twice but I love snowboarding so far and I'd like to invest in my own equipment.

I'm 5'4 and I weigh between 120-130 lbs and I wear between a size 8-9 in shoes (depends on the shoe). I've been using my boyfriends old board which is a Burton (size 145) and his old Burton boots which are a size 8 (in boys I'm obviously assuming).I'm going to be riding mostly downhill on a groomed mountain.

I've been looking at the Salomon Lily, Burton Feelgood ES (07/08), Salomon Lush and Salomon Lotus but any recs would be great! I also visited my local ski/snowboard shop and they recommended my board be between 144 and 149, is this correct?

I'm not really looking to spend more then $350 since I'd still have to buy bindings and boots and of course because I'm still a beginner.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Starbuck208; 02-10-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
dagrease78

I'm 5'4 as well, 125 with a size 8 boot. I ride a between a 148-150 depending on which board I'm on. In my opinion (I'm no authority), I would stay away from the Feelgood ES until/unless you are completely comfortable on the mountain. It's a rather stiff board and is not the best choice for a newb. I ride an ES now and while a great board, if I learned on it, I probably would have gotten super frustrated. Being that it's stiff, it's not very forgiving, so take that into consideration. You might consider a Feelgood/Feelgood V-rocker instead. While I have no allegiance to Burton (I also have a NS and Lib Tech), the Feelgood is a good choice if you're just starting out. The Salomon Lotus is a true beginners board, soft and forgiving, only thing, you don't want to grow out of your board too quickly. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by dagrease78; 02-09-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sn0wb0rder

just bought this board

Sierra Crew - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

u can do anything with this board. parks, rails, flat riding, ect.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree that the Feelgood ES is too stiff for you. I might even steer you away from the regular Feelgood, unless you will be a pretty aggressive or fast learner.

The Salomon boards you listed would all be appropriate.

More information would steer us in the right direction. Are you a complete beginner? How often do you anticipate snowboarding this season? What kind of riding will you be doing? What kind of snow will you be riding on?

Some of the more popular boards for beginners (soft flex, but quality enough to keep you riding for a few years) are: K2 Luna, Burton Lux, Rome Vinyl.

Oh, and the Sierra Crew is a men's board. Gah.

Last edited by lilfoot1598; 02-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
I agree that the Feelgood ES is too stiff for you. I might even steer you away from the regular Feelgood, unless you will be a pretty aggressive or fast learner.

More information would steer us in the right direction. Are you a complete beginner? How often do you anticipate snowboarding this season? What kind of riding will you be doing? What kind of snow will you be riding on?

Some of the more popular boards for beginners (soft flex, but quality enough to keep you riding for a few years) are: K2 Luna, Burton Lux, Rome Vinyl.

Totally agree with this post. Go get yourself a somewhat flexible board. Something for park. I'm still using my forum manual 2008, and still loving it. Tho i wish i got a nice NS board...
Nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Starbuck208

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post

Thanks for the info! I figured the ES wouldn't be the right choice haha.

Yes I would say I'm a complete beginner. I know how to stop but I'm having a hard time stringing together my turns though that might be contributed to the fact that I didn't ride regular (I don't know what the term is for riding in the opposite direction). Most likely freeriding with groomed snow unless I can get out to Vermont or Canada before the season ends and ride some nice powder (I live in CT). I also don't want to grow out of my board too quickly. I think I just need a nice beginner/intermediate all mountain board that I can use for a couple years.

Last edited by Starbuck208; 02-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Starbuck208

Should I want until the summer to buy a board or do you think the prices would stay around the same as they are now?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

there are fewer women's specific boards out there, but you want to get one probably. That said, the discounts tend to thin out the remaining stock of popular sizes (i.e., 145 for women) and what remains in the summer months tend to be longer (150+) or shorter (139 and smaller). Sierrasnowboards.com has some brand new boards from last season for under $200 right now, not sure what sizes they have in stock, but I'd recommend looking to see what's available from past seasons right now.

I'd expect prices to drop on the '09/'10 boards by about 30-40% after the season, at most retailers, but again, be careful because you might not be able to find the board you want in the size you want.

I'd rather pay an extra $20-30 and get the right board, right now

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Starbuck208

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
there are fewer women's specific boards out there, but you want to get one probably. That said, the discounts tend to thin out the remaining stock of popular sizes (i.e., 145 for women) and what remains in the summer months tend to be longer (150+) or shorter (139 and smaller). Sierrasnowboards.com has some brand new boards from last season for under $200 right now, not sure what sizes they have in stock, but I'd recommend looking to see what's available from past seasons right now.

I'd expect prices to drop on the '09/'10 boards by about 30-40% after the season, at most retailers, but again, be careful because you might not be able to find the board you want in the size you want.

I'd rather pay an extra $20-30 and get the right board, right now
That's what I figured. My boyfriend is telling me to wait until the summer to get my board but I'm worried the board isn't going to be in stock. I'm checking out Ski Market this weekend to see if they have any good deals since they are going out of business. I'm eyeing the Rome Vinyl, Salomon Lotus (not sure on this one) and the Burton Lux or Feelgood. Any one have an idea on the K2 Duchess? I hear a lot of good things but I'm not sure if it would be a good board for me to learn on. I'd also expect Burton's to fly off the shelves first when they go on sale.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Rome Vinyl Womens - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

Rome Vinyl : $259, comes in size 146

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2