Should I get a Bateleon Goliath or LT Skate Banana - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
frechdaxx

Default Should I get a Bateleon Goliath or LT Skate Banana

Hey

I know this question was probably asked a few times, but in my case its a little bit different..

I'm a beginner from germany willing to spend more money on board and binding to have much longer fun with the same board.

My height is 1,82 with 80 Kilo which should be 176 pounds..

With Nitro Team Tls Boots with UK Size 11 I think I need a wide board

Right now I have the option to get a Bataleon Goliath 164 non Wide, which would be fine with a width of 26cm..

Another option would be the Lib Tech Skate Banana 159W with Union Force Binding.

I think I will do all mountain most of the time, but with the option of going into the park and driving kickers when I'm better at snowboarding.

Judging from my very little knowledge I suppose that the Skate Banana is the more allround choice, as the Goliath is with 164cm a very long board. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Can you get your hands on a capita indoor survival fk? The IS will own both boards
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
MauiWowie

sierrascope.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're comparing to the SB, you should look into the Evil Twin instead. It'll be the most fun you've ever had on a snowboard.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hate to say It, but I tried a bataleon jam, and found it somewhat lacking in the charging department. Specifically when it came to hauling ass in coppy conditions, I felt it got a little too chattery. Sl-r and Team Gullwing are in that ballpark flex wise and were much better FOR THAT SPECIFICALLY. No comment on the skate banana.
Also, I think The goliath vs. the Skate banana is like comparing apples to oranges, based on their stiffnesses and target riders.
supercollider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

debatable whether it's long for you, but, of those two, the 164 Goliath would be better all mountain, ride faster/more stable and last longer than an SB.

Last edited by extra0; 02-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh geez. Didnt really get into the details of your rider type. I think OF THOSE TWO, I'd probably go for the skate banana for now.
You'll have more control overall while you get your turns aced. The Goliath's a stiffer freeride deck and won't want to turn at slower speeds.
supercollider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Hate to say It, but I tried a bataleon jam, and found it somewhat lacking in the charging department. Specifically when it came to hauling ass in coppy conditions, I felt it got a little too chattery. Sl-r and Team Gullwing are in that ballpark flex wise and were much better FOR THAT SPECIFICALLY. No comment on the skate banana.
Also, I think The goliath vs. the Skate banana is like comparing apples to oranges, based on their stiffnesses and target riders.

Maybe the one you tried wasn't properly waxed. My Bataleon Jam hauls ass just fine and compare to my friend's SL-R it handles the chop better IMO. The SL-R is a capable board but you're probably against the grain to say the Jam lacks in the charging department.
ScBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
frechdaxx

Thanks for your great replies so far..So lets start from the beginning. As I said before I'm a total newbie..This year I moved to an area in Germany with mountains, so I had the opportunity to go snowboarding for the first time..I practiced 2 days with a very cheap board from a friend which was much too long with 168cm..
So I asked in a german forum which board would be the best for me. Many people recommended the new TBT and Banana technic, so I looked around a bit. After a while I realized that most of the boards are sold out in Germany. In one shop I found a Bataleon Goliath 164, which I bought right away, because I thought it would soon be sold out too..It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm very unsure with my decision, so I'm thinking about returning it. The Skate Banana is the next Board I could get, with the Union Force Binding..In my opinion it looks awesome with the green bindings, and from what I read in some reviews it is great for park and powder, but also for all mountain in bigger sizes like 159W.

The thing is, that I have holidays in a few days where I want to practice some snowboarding in the snowdome..In March a friends comes to visit me to go snowboarding in the alps for a few days..In July I'm going to australia to study there for a semester, so I'm not able to use the board next winter.I'm not sure what to do right now. I would really love to buy a board right now, as I'm not willing to rent a board until then. I think its better to invest the money I spare in a better board.

Considering that, what would you recommend me? It is not necessary to go for the Goliath or SB, I just thought that these two would be a good choice until now. Being the sportive type I think I will make fast progress, so a beginner board is no option..In the beginning I will do all mountain most of the time..Park will be to difficult at the beginning, but I will definately try out kickers.. The board should definately last a few years, so I want to have the option to DO park when I'm better on the snowboard.

So I guess I need a flexible board to drive down mountains, with the option to do good in the park. I'm willing to spend 550€ for board and binding. Would love to year some good answers as I really need help to decide

Last edited by frechdaxx; 02-10-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've tried a lot of boards, but ended up with bataleon. One of my bataleons is a 163 and it's actually a very good all mountain board for my 170 lbs weight. Granted, I would probably be considered intermediate, but you could save yourself the hassle of going through a bunch of boards and just get used to the Goliath you already bought.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote