When do I get a minor tune? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Florac

Default When do I get a minor tune?

I bought a new Roxy Ally Mtx/Btx last month and have ridden on it at the local hills 6 times since(4-5 hours each time). I looked at the base last night and I think it needs a wax(total noob, still learning). When I called a local shop to ask how long for a wax(need it by Saturday, heading to Lake Louise), they asked if I needed any tuning and I honestly have no clue. Is there a way to tell, keeping in mind that I just started snowboarding last month and can't tell based on performance yet.

A minor tune includes ceramic side edge and base edge sharpening and de-tuning, and wax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

a basic 'minor' tune would do you fine

in the future, apply one of the scenarios below based on the condition of your board

Basic Snowboard Tune: $32.95
Base refinishing, ceramic disk edging and hot wax.

Express Snowboard Tune: $39.95
Minor p-tex repair, and basic tune.

Super Express Snowboard Tune: $43.95
Major p-tex repair and basic tune.

tune shop vt prices
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check ur edges up close, if they have a lot of nicks and gouges then yes, u should get it tuned.

it also depends on ur riding conditions, if there was a lot of ice and loose granular frozen man made snow then ur edges will wear out faster.

U should def wax ur board right now especially if u got it new and rode it 6x.

if u feel like ur board is wobbly and u dont have that gripping power anymore then yes, its time to tune
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

A minor tune probably isn't worth it unless you've screwed up your edges pretty badly. I'd just take it to them for the wax and ask them to give it a look.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Florac

I brought it in and they said it was pretty dry so at least now I know when it needs a wax more or less. I asked about the tuning and he said it was fine. Then he mentioned something about only being able to tune it by hand since it's mtx. So when I do need it tuned, is it gonna be a pain in the a**?

My boyfriend also bought a snowboard around the same time as me so I think we will probably invest in the right equipment and do our own down waxing the road(especially if we're getting 4-5 days in a month).
Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just want to pop in with a quick question. When sharpening a 1/1 edge, do I need to worry about the base bevel? I was thinking about just getting a cheap 1 degree edge sharpener, along with a gummi stone.
mjung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I generally get my board waxed and sharpened every 3 or 4 times out. Some people will go entire seasons without getting it done and this is just stupid. Your speed suffers (especially riding a flat hill like Sunshine) and your base can dry out. I don't do my own waxing because a buddy has a shop, but it makes sense, just watch that you don't hold the iron in 1 place for too long or you'll burn your base.

And let me know what the snow in Lake Louise is like, I'm heading to Marmot tomorrow.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Dano,

I had a talk with a local owner and he said a that the board i just bought new and factory waxed should last 6 full days boarding without needing a wax.. I was a bit skeptical.. Is that right?
Texas Exclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Florac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I generally get my board waxed and sharpened every 3 or 4 times out. Some people will go entire seasons without getting it done and this is just stupid. Your speed suffers (especially riding a flat hill like Sunshine) and your base can dry out. I don't do my own waxing because a buddy has a shop, but it makes sense, just watch that you don't hold the iron in 1 place for too long or you'll burn your base.

And let me know what the snow in Lake Louise is like, I'm heading to Marmot tomorrow.
Funny you mention Marmot..I was looking at the forecast and it's going to be freakin warm up there this weekend(like 5 above freezing). My brother actually works at the Chateau Lake Louise(he's an accountant) and he said the occupancy for this weekend is 100%(except for the $1000/nt room LOL). So he said to basically expect a gong show on the hills. I also tried to book a dinner for one of my favorite restaurants in Banff(where we're staying) for Saturday night a couple of days ago and all they had left was a 9pm reservation. Crazy! Hopefully Jasper will be less chaotic.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Exclusive View Post
Hey Dano,

I had a talk with a local owner and he said a that the board i just bought new and factory waxed should last 6 full days boarding without needing a wax.. I was a bit skeptical.. Is that right?
Factory wax will work.

Most of us that ride a lot during the season put new wax on new boards. It does depend on what board you bought and the current snow conditions as well.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote