Lib Tech Dark Series C2 BTX vs. Gnu Altered Genetics BTX (and maybe Lib Tech TRS) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech Dark Series C2 BTX vs. Gnu Altered Genetics BTX (and maybe Lib Tech TRS)

I consider myself to be an advanced rider, but not an expert. I'm not starring in the next "That's It, That's All" with T. Rice, if you know what I mean. However, I can definitely rip it and like it fast. I prefer black and double black terrain, and kill for steep pow and diverse backcountry (which are unfortunately limited here in Pennsylvania). I also like to hit mogul runs to give myself a work out, and enjoy tree runs. I strongly prefer freeriding and playing with natural terrain. I do dabble in the park, but don't prefer it. I enjoy the ability to switch to fakie 20-30% of time to give my back leg a rest and keep things interesting.

With that said, I am pretty dead set on either a Lib Tech or a Gnu. I rented a 159cm Skate Banana one day and had an amazing time. Definitely a very fun board, and I don't think I could sacrifice not having Magnetraction after experiencing it. However, I do have two complaints in regards to The Skate Banana, which I am hoping either the Lib Tech Dark Series C2 BTX or Gnu Altered Genetics BTX can solve.

1.) The initial acceleration of the Skate Banana was too slow, and I would like a little more speed and pop/aggression while carving.

2.) The Skate Banana was very difficult to handle on moguls, even if they were 3 foot-iced over-mole hills. (The flex is a 6, so maybe I need a stiffer board?)

***Important: I am debating between a 158 or 161 Dark Series (Flex 7.5) and a 159 or 162 Altered Genetics (Flex 7). I am 5'11", weigh 183lbs, and wear a size 10 boot. As described above, I am an aggressive rider, who enjoys riding both directions and minimal park. I live in the Northeast where I do most of my riding, but do make it out to the Rockies at least once a year. Which size do I get?***

Once last thing (sorry for the length of this post): I am a medical student, which means funds are pretty limited. I know that these are very expensive boards, which means I am waiting for end of season deals. IF the deals are not adequate (max $500, which is still expensive), then my back-up plans are the Lib Tech TRS or something cheaper from Lib Tech or Gnu.

Thank you all for your consideration.

Last edited by billygold18; 02-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygold18 View Post
I consider myself to be an advanced rider, but not an expert. I'm not starring in the next "That's It, That's All" with T. Rice, if you know what I mean. However, I can definitely rip it and like it fast. I prefer black and double black terrain, and kill for steep pow and diverse backcountry (which are unfortunately limited here in Pennsylvania). I also like to hit mogul runs to give myself a work out, and enjoy tree runs. I strongly prefer freeriding and playing with natural terrain. I do dabble in the park, but don't prefer it. I enjoy the ability to switch to fakie 20-30% of time to give my back leg a rest and keep things interesting.

With that said, I am pretty dead set on either a Lib Tech or a Gnu. I rented a 159cm Skate Banana one day and had an amazing time. Definitely a very fun board, and I don't think I could sacrifice not having Magnetraction after experiencing it. However, I do have two complaints in regards to The Skate Banana, which I am hoping either the Lib Tech Dark Series C2 BTX or Gnu Altered Genetics BTX can solve.

1.) The initial acceleration of the Skate Banana was too slow, and I would like a little more speed and pop/aggression while carving.

2.) The Skate Banana was very difficult to handle on moguls, even if they were 3 foot-iced over-mole hills. (The flex is a 6, so maybe I need a stiffer board?)

***Important: I am debating between a 158 or 161 Dark Series (Flex 7.5) and a 159 or 162 Altered Genetics (Flex 7). I am 5'11", weigh 183lbs, and wear a size 10 boot. As described above, I am an aggressive rider, who enjoys riding both directions and minimal park. I live in the Northeast where I do most of my riding, but do make it out to the Rockies at least once a year. Which size do I get?***

Once last thing (sorry for the length of this post): I am a medical student, which means funds are pretty limited. I know that these are very expensive boards, which means I am waiting for end of season deals. IF the deals are not adequate (max $500, which is still expensive), then my back-up plans are the Lib Tech TRS or something cheaper from Lib Tech or Gnu.

Thank you all for your consideration.
I have been looking for the Dark Series in a 158.
I currently ride a Never Summer Premiere with Palmer Lifters.
I like the extra power that the lifters give and this led me to the Dark Series
The only other board that I have contemplated is the Never Summer Heritage-R.
I have not found any Dark Series 158 in stock online.
Have you found anything yet?
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey man, I definitely that has the Dark Series and Heritage-R, but on sale as well. They were the my two top choices after much discussion on another thread that I made, which generated a very large number of responses. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...es-c2-btx.html

Anyhow, the shop doesn't have the Dark Series in a 158, but I have included a few links that do. However, they are not on sale. Check ebay because I definitely saw some 158's at good prices there. I purchased a 161, so I put the link to that anyhow. I have posted the links to both boards.

Dark Series (type Dark Series C2 BTX into google and see what comes up in the shopping section)
161 for $499.95
Lib Tech Dark Series C2BTX Snowboard
158 for $569.95
Lib Tech-Lib Technologies Dark Series C2 BTX Snowboard New 2010

Never Summer Heritage-R
Unfortunately, Daddies has it on sale, but only in a 162.

Best of luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

for what your riding i would look at the t.rice also. it is between the trs and dark series in stiffness. i ride a trs which is a great allmountain board, but maybe softer and more park oriented that you want.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good luck finding the T. Rice C2 BTX pointy tip. It is completely sold out all over the internet. I scoured the net and couldn't find one. HOWEVER, there are still blunt tips left in a size 157, which I hear are still very good all mountain boards and only differ in the tip shape in regards to the other model.

Anyhow, I actually reposted this thread and got a ton of responses. So check out the link I placed in my last reply.