Pipe Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

Default Pipe Board

long story short, im looking for a pipe board... i currently ride a K2 eldorado, 158. im 6'2" and just shy of 180lbs. i realize my eldo may be a bit small, but i never experience toe/heel drag so im content. and i tend to ride all my boards short/small; surf, skate, ect. but i have fun whipping it around the slopes. now im no stranger to vertical faces, hatteras gets double over head when its firing and ive skated even deeper pools. i like to think that i board like i surf/skate, with a lot of power and drive. so at the end of the day when ive exhausted my interested in all the runs i find myself drifting to the pipe. ive been out three times and im already hitting coping. provided my board could probably use a good tuning, i find it rather lacking sometimes and this kills my confidence for boosting. at the speeds needed to get air i tend to get squirly and it takes everything to not wash out in the flats.

so im in the market for a new board!

correct me if im wrong, but most pipe riders are on traditional camber boards correct? does this mean that a quality pipe board will perform well at high speed carving? idealy id like something that can perform well specifically at these two aspects. i already have a jibb and all mountain board, so no worries there. ive been thinking somewhere in the 160-162 range?

any suggestions or pointers in picking out a board would be appreciated. even oppinions are welcome.

Last edited by VAhasnoWAVES; 02-11-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you go Burton, the Custom X is known to be very good at pipe and high speed carving
mjung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd suggest the GNU MTX. When u ride pipe your going to want a board that holds up on a carve very well and so this is why when you look for boards, look for ones that are stiff and have regular camber
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

thats what ive been thinking. ive been thinking regular camber would help hold an edge when climbing the walls and they are icy. regular camber is traditionally prefered for carving couges all over the mountain. correct me if im wrong. the custom x is gnarley, but maybe a little priceyer than id like. and i dont want to have to buy a whole new set of binding. =/

any other board suggestions to look into or length suggestions? im fairly new to the sport in general... so im not really bias to any company.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sierra Crew - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

It's a replica of the Burton custom, 'cept a whole lot cheaper. Perfect for pipe.
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

funny you post that, i was checking it our before coming back to this thread. another board i found at sierra that interested me was the nitro team.

thoughts?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

not a lot of pipe riders eh?

lol.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm no pipe rider, but I do know that the Custom is better than the Custom X for park. Custom X is more for bombers.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

but for Pipe and booters, i would think that the stiffness and edgehold of the X is better than the regular.

Of course for boxes and rails, the X is not so great
mjung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I see way more Customs in the pipe than Custom X.

Another suggestion would be the Operator (Shaun White). I have the 2007 Shaun White and this board has a good flex to it with lots of pop. It's still my favorite board for ollies/nollies because of the pop to it.