Lib-Tech Dark Series C2 BTX vs. Gnu Altered Genetics BTX - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

they do ride a bit shorter, but i'm 160 and i was recommended the 158. it definitely depends on your riding style though. the ability and want to size down stems from wanting easier spins and jibbing. if you're bombing, then a slightly longer board will be faster and more stable, while the shorter will a bit more agile.

you will be able to handle either with no problem. pick what suits your riding
Cool_As_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Billy, I think the Billy Goat fits your size perfectly. I'd really like to get one but at 6'0" 180 I would like something bigger, a 164 or 166. For freeriding I think you'd love it.
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Hmm, definitely something to think about. I guess the question is: When end of season sales role around, will these boards still be available at a price I want. But, we shall see.
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #24 (permalink)
boredyak

Thanks for checking out my reviews, I hope they're helping you decide. My #1 point of advice would be to ride all the boards you're considering. Your opinion will be different from everyone else's. If you have to rely on outside opinion, check out angrysnowboarder, he writes a good review for sure. Hates Lib, though.

OK, let's break down these boards. From Mervin, we have Lib's Dark C2, TRice C2, TRS (C2?) and GNU's Altered Genetics and Billy Goat. Then Never Summer's F1, Heritage and SL. Maybe some other miscellaneous stuff, too. Here we go.

I'd rule out the F1 and Billy Goat due to their focus. They are not boards that can 'do it all.' They can do the 'scream machine' part, but not so much the playful.

The Dark and AG are pretty similar. The Dark has C2 and a little added stiffness, but still poppy and pretty fun. I don't think you want a straight up banana board for your riding. The AG is great, but maybe not for your style. You might think this eliminates the TRS, but it doesn't. Next year's TRS has C2 and since they were switching the molds this year, some TRS's this year have C2. Or so says the rep I talked to at Mt. Baker. The Travis Rice, of course, has C2. Check that out if you can. I haven't ridden it, but have heard it charges and it can obviously take on a backcountry booter.

How about the Never Summer boards? We're left with Heritage and SL. Both quality boards. I just got the chance to ride the SL in some powder, chop and steeps at Baker and can say that it held up OK. I would still go with the added stability of the Heritage if that was my everyday riding situation. As an aside, I could definitely feel the added heft of the SL while hiking. Something to think about.

As for the two sidecuts, they ride equally well on ice.

My final verdict for you would be to demo a Lib Travis Rice in 161.5, Dark C2 in 161 and an NS Heritage-R in 160 and pick your favorite. You have plenty of other choices out there (Jones, Rossignol and Smokin' Snowboards all have Magne models, Smokin' even with 3-year warranties) but that's the best advice I can give you based on what I've ridden and similar boards in those lines.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

Wow Yak, thanks a million man! Your board exams are great and your quirky writing style is very enjoyable. Keep us updated on the good stuff.

Those three choices sound perfect and will definitely look into them when I can. My one issue is being able to demo them. Not sure where I can do that. I live in Philadelphia, so does anyone know who demos high quality boards in the area? Also, everywhere on the net I have checked for the T. Rice 161.5 are sold out, so I'll have to scour the shops. But, still it definitely helps to have it narrowed down in such a manner as you just did.

My general opinion is that everything except pure freestyle boards will eventually be incorporated with the C2/RC technology. Therefore, I think we'll see it on the TRS next year, because I haven't seen anything about it on this year's boards. But, that is a mute point, since I am looking for a deal this season to ride next season. Therefore, I am hoping the three choices outlined are available when end of season deals role around.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #26 (permalink)

I've been riding the c2 Dark Series for the past year. It is hands down the best board I have ridden. The ORG Throttle (which is wood inserts that are placed horizontaly with your bindings) make it lightning fast edge to edge. Still super poppy and playful thanks to the banana.
Boardski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #27 (permalink)

Boardski: Do you mind if I ask your height and weight, as well as which size Dark Series you ride? Are you satisfied with the size you chose?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
boredyak

billy, check the events calendars at all the resorts in your area. Many places have spring demos where you can demo boards from multiple manufacturers for free. Also, many bigger resorts have a fleet of boards you can demo for a fee on any given day. For example, at Mt. Hood Meadows, they have a free, spring demo day coming up in March, but they also have a boardshop where - for $50 - you can demo two boards per day.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks Yak. I will look into it.

Based on my riding style, does anyone think I should be looking at traditional camber boards, as well. Or should I just stick to the three choices we've already mentioned?

Also, I'm pretty dead set on the Rome Targa bindings. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

Billy I haven't demoed any of the BTX boards so I'm not sure myself if I want one due to my carvy riding style. The T Rice is made in an MTX only version as well this year, I was thinking about picking on up on dogfunk.
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote