Lib-Tech Dark Series C2 BTX vs. Gnu Altered Genetics BTX - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride/All Mountain Scream Machine (w/ Magnetraction)

I am looking for a freeride/all mountian scream machine that has speed and aggression, but is still playful, capable of switch riding (probably a twin directional) and backcountry kickers. I do dabble in the park once in a while, but mostly stick to shredding black/double-black terrain, mog runs, tree explorations, and backcountry. I am in the Northeast, and am dead set on buying a board with Magnetraction.

I am considering the Lib-tech Dark Series C2 BTX and the Gnu Altered Genetics BTX. I am 5,11", weight 182lbs, and wear a size 10 Burton boot. I am debating between a 158 or 161 Dark Series (Flex 7.5) and a 159 or 162 Altered Genetics (Flex 7). Which size do I get? I rode a 159 Skate Banana, and found it a bit lacking on acceleration and speed; however that board had a flex of 6. So will a stiffer board correct the acceleration and speed?

If I decide to go cheaper, how do other Lib-Tech or Gnu boards stand up to the two I am considering. Also, I am considering the Rome 390 or the Rome Targa bindings. Any thoughts on those?

Thank you all for your time!

Last edited by billygold18; 02-11-2010 at 10:12 AM.
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

yeah, a stiffer board will help with speed because your stability will be greater.

Since you're looking at an all mountain killer, you might want to look into the NS SL. The NS vario grip works the same as magnetraction and with the C2 BTX, Mervin took that technology from NS.

If you're dead set on mervin, then the TRS BTX would be a good choice too.

As far as bindings, the 390's are a bit too soft for all mountain so get the targas
Cool_As_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ha, it's funny you mention the Never Summer SL-R, because my buddy who works at a board shop suggested the same. I was just so enamored with the ability of the Magnetraction on the massive ice sheets we encounter in the poconos that it was hard for me to look past it. However, if you say that the NS Vario Grip is comparable to the Magnetraction, then I should at least demo a Never Summer.

What's your opinion on the Gnu Altered Genetics? Is it worth it or is it a hyped up Lib-Tech TRS BTX?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

go altered genetics, vectran space fibers, uber light core of bioengineered wood.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

also vario = twin progressive or quadratic, not the same as magnetraction really at all. The F1 or the new raptor look like sick boards through. Neversummer's ride more damp, lib's tend to be more lively.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was under the impression C2 is mervin's next gen btx (?)
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

C2 is the next generation of Mervin BTX. It is Banana (Reverse Camber) between the feet and regular camber outside of the feet. It can be found on the Dark Series, which is one of the boards I am considering, as well as the Travis Rice blunt tip and pointy tip BTX's, Gnu Danny Kaas BTX, and Gnu Billy Goat BTX.

However, some believe that they stole this concept of combining regular and reverse camber from Never Summer.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygold18 View Post
C2 is the next generation of Mervin BTX. It is Banana (Reverse Camber) between the feet and regular camber outside of the feet. It can be found on the Dark Series, which is one of the boards I am considering, as well as the Travis Rice blunt tip and pointy tip BTX's, Gnu Danny Kaas BTX, and Gnu Billy Goat BTX.

However, some believe that they stole this concept of combining regular and reverse camber from Never Summer.
steal or not, Never Summer did do it first, and C2 is the same as NS RC. But, its not like all these companies didn't follow Mervin's lead when they brought back reverse camber. Its all semantics, but ya gotta give credit where credit is due.

While MTX/BTX and NS Vario are physically different, they accomplish the same thing and ride quite similarly.

I havent been on the Altered Genetics line, so I can't speak to those. But I do know that either the NS SL or the TRS BTX will suit your needs. There tends to be not too much difference between comparable models of Libs and Gnu's just because they're from the same company.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
The F1 or the new raptor look like sick boards through.
yeah, they redesigned the whole thing. They shifted the reverse camber toward the rear of the board and elongated the camber in the nose. I can't wait to try one out. I'll keep yinz posted
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

No worries brother. I wasn't referring only to you, but many I have heard the same from. Besides, if these companies aren't borrowing and learning from each other's innovations, we all as consumers lose.

Anyhow, I appreciate your input on the Altered Genetics. However, my once concern in terms of the Total Ripper Series is that it has a flex of 6 at 159 and a flex of 7 at 162; whereas, the Altered Genetics has a flex of 7 at 159. If I end up with a TRS, should I size up, or will the difference in flex be negligible?

Also, how does the stability and flex of the NS SL-R compare to the aforementioned boards? The NS web site has it at a flex of 5.