New Park Board Time - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
bearju1ce

Default New Park Board Time

Before I list some of the options I have looked at I will give some background. If it's too much just skip it.

I am an Ice Coast snowboarder just moving into the park scene. I had gone 8 or 9 times in middle school but was never great. I got back to the mountain 2 weeks ago after 4 or 5 years off and with the help of some of snow wolfs videos I was able to link turns and carve (although I need to get better at bleeding speed while carving and improve technique). That day I also met up with my friends and learned how to 50-50 boxes and do simple grabs on small jumps. I want to be able to jib everything, take mid size jumps and throw spins (I think the biggest we have locally at ski liberty is about 25 feet), butter around the hill, and have a fun time all around the mountain and in different conditions. Most of my time in the future will be spent in the park though. Being able to ride fakie is also extremely important to me.

I plan on getting a board now rather than later to save rent money and because of a trip north during our college's spring break. I have money to blow from jobs so price isn't really an object but I don't see the point to spending extreme amounts on a first board that will get used heavily in the park and on the street when the snows there.

I am about 5-10 and weigh between 175-185 pounds depending on what weight I need to be at for the school boxing club.

For bindings I was thinking Union Force's would be good, especially with Sierra's deals
Union Force - Snowboard Bindings Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

For Boots the Rome Libertine looks good as do the 32 lashed and burton hail and jeremy jones, but I will need to find a local shop to try boots on and see what really works.

For boards here are a few that stood out to me after checking out reviews and company websites

Capita Sierrascope 156 $300
Capita Sierrascope FK - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

Capita Indoor Survival FK $280 (156? i know bigger people sometimes swing 154 but I have no idea about that for me at this stage of riding)
Capita Indoor Survival FK - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

Rome Graft 155 $300 for 2010 about $140 for 2009
Rome Graft - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

Capita Stairmaster 156 $230
Capita Stairmaster - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

I also looked at the burton blunt but I didn't like the graphic and it was $370 on sale at sierra. In general LibTech costs too much for me and seems more advanced. K2 and some other brands like ride didnt fit into my price range either, but I have no objections to other suggestions.

I like the forum youngblood chillydog as well, my friend already has one though and I think it would be cool to rock something different.

I won't really have an opportunity to test things but from descriptions I have read the Capita Sierrascope and Indoor Survival FK seem the most appealing to me. I like the graphics on the survival FK the best, with the stairmaster in second.

If anyone has input on traditional camber v reverse camber and jib-rocker tech. or experience with these or any other similar boards I would love some help.

Thanks guys