All Mountain/Freeride board for newer rider. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default All Mountain/Freeride board for newer rider.

I'm a newer rider (10 trips to the mountain total) and I've pretty narrowed down my new board choices to the NS titan or NS premier f1. I have absolutely no desire to do park. Right now I'm just riding groomers and would like to progress to deep snow & trees. Maybe some big mountain backcountry type stuff when I get better. I'm 230lbs with a 10 boot. Which board would better suit me? Any binding suggestions as well? Something on the stiff side maybe? This is all new to me.
Sodpoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

For a new rider choosing between those two, Premier for sure. The Titan is a great board but is not very forgiving to mistakes. The Premier is a little bit less hard core but will still handle anything you could throw at it, and also has NS's rocker camber which the Titan does not. Having recently tried this camber shape out new Heritage X-R I have to say I'm very impressed with it, though it took some getting used to.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I never even thought to check if the titan had the RC tech as well which is something I was really wanting. I just assumed it was an across the board(no pun intended) thing with NS. For my weight and skill level do you think a 163 will be too long? I'm quick learner and semi-aggressive rider, I'd rather go slightly long and unwieldy and grow into it.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sodpoodle, I am in fact looking at the same board and found an unreal price on it on ebay. Unfortunately at 5'11" 180, the board is too long for me, because it is a 163. However, considering the list price is $499, at $300 + $29 for shipping you should check this out. Here is the link:

Never Summer Premier F1-R Snowboard 163 New - eBay (item 220555615495 end time Feb-19-10 10:17:47 PST)
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just curious what area do you ride? Will you be seeing a lot of powder?

I got the premier on sale for about $330 shipped and it was a crazy sale. I'm on the east coast so I haven't really had the chance to enjoy it in powder yet. I would go with the Premier for what you're looking for. I'm a little over 230 riding a 161. They say with the RC tech you can go a little smaller and it'll still float in powder. I guess I'll find out but until then the edges hold great in the ice/hard pack out here.
Magnum626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Magnum: How do you feel about the size of the board you chose? Do you feel you could have bought a longer one? I weigh 180 and am considering the same size 161 Never Summer Premier or the Never Summer Heritage at 160. Also, how is the board in terms of riding switch and playing with it a little?

I live in Philadelphia. Where did you buy it?
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A few months ago Paragonsports had a great deal I think it was like $330 shipped. I haven't learned to ride switch yet so I didn't really make any attempts on this board. Last time I was practicing switch was several years ago when I was riding more consistently. I've gone maybe 4 times in 4 years prior to this season, before that it was at a minumum of 10-15x/season and catching some great POW while traveling.

As far as a longer one, maybe. But I don't feel like it's too short for my weight either, I plan on getting back to around 200lb. My last board was a Custom 158 from 2002 but I weighed like 190 back then. I purchased this board for more of an all mountain powder board for when I travel. From my what I'm reading I might've been able to go smaller and still have float for the powder. I've taken small hits/jumps on this thing and it's pretty poppy. I'm not much of a park rider but I'll take some jumps off natural terrain here and there. When I crash tend to leave divets in the snow and don't wanna ruin it for everyone else. My only critique is the weight but that's just me nitpicking since the Custom was much lighter.

Right now paragonsports has a titan for 384 with free shipping.
Magnum626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry, forgot to add that I'm on the west coast, southern oregon to be exact. That 163 for $330 shipped is super tempting but if it's going to be too long I'd rather pass and get a slightly shorter board. My normal weight is around 190-200lbs but I've been unemployed for awhile. Should I look for a 161/159 with basically powder and groomer riding in mind?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
tyomak

I'd also recommend to check perhaps the Legacy as that is not as stiff as the Titan or Premier but still should be able to hold you up just fine. I have both the Titan and Revolver and have taken the Revolver out to Vermont and Mass a few times without any problems at all. If you are more of a beginner, I think you'd enjoy a slightly softer board.

The Titan is terrific though and handles any terrain very well, at high speeds, but is a *very* stiff board. Titan will be phased out after this season and they'll come out with the Raptor which will have the RC tech as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodpoodle View Post
That 163 for $330 shipped is super tempting but if it's going to be too long I'd rather pass and get a slightly shorter board... Should I look for a 161/159 with basically powder and groomer riding in mind?
Personally, I think 163 would be a good size for you. I learned on a 165 at around 200 lbs, and now regularly ride boards that are 170+, so in my mind 163 really isn't that big at all. A few cm more or less really won't make that big a difference anyway.

The Legacy is a wide version of the SL, and with a size 10 boot just the regular SL might be the way to go if you want to go a little bit softer or something you can ride switch a little bit easier. The Premier doesn't even come in a wide, if it did I probably would have gone with that instead of the Heritage this year.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote