Drake snowboards?? Newbie (ladies) setup questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 PM
newbiesara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Drake snowboards?? Newbie (ladies) setup questions

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 135
Level: novice
Type of riding: all mountain/freeride - I don't see myself doing any tricks in the near future

I am trying to decide what setup to get. I picked up some Saloman Ivy boots at boxing day and have been renting the board (except i've been out for 6 weeks with a broken wrist). I was pretty sure I wanted the saloman lotus board then today when looking at through the Canadian e-tailers from the sticky I saw the Drake Charm.

I have not really heard of drake and wondered whether they were a quality brand or not?

Also bindings - I was looking at either:
Saloman Grace
Drake Jade
or
Ride VXN
I have read lots of recommendations for the VXN's and am leaning that way...

I don't have any limits on money but dont want to spend a fortune either. I'm looking for something decent to learn on and expect I will want to upgrade in a couple of years. I'm thinking $300-400 for board, $150-200 for bindings.

Thanks for any opinions you are able to give me.

Last edited by newbiesara; 02-13-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
 
lilfoot1598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know NOTHING about Drake snowboards.

I rode a pair of Rdie Vxns for most of next season. They are a quality mid-range binding. Otherwise, if you are willing to spend a bit more, K2 Virtues and Rome Madisons are excellent bindings suitable for riders at any level.

I currently have the Salomon Ivys and love them! Good choice!

Some beginner boards that will suit your riding for a few years: K2 Luna, Rome Vinyl, Burton Lux, Capita Space Metal Fantasy, Gnu B-nice.
lilfoot1598 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
newbiesara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
I know NOTHING about Drake snowboards.

I rode a pair of Rdie Vxns for most of next season. They are a quality mid-range binding. Otherwise, if you are willing to spend a bit more, K2 Virtues and Rome Madisons are excellent bindings suitable for riders at any level.

I currently have the Salomon Ivys and love them! Good choice!

Some beginner boards that will suit your riding for a few years: K2 Luna, Rome Vinyl, Burton Lux, Capita Space Metal Fantasy, Gnu B-nice.
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at both bindings you suggested and they both look good to me. I also checked out the boards and like the Luna, B-nice and the Lux. I was actually being kinda anti burton.... only I didn't want to be looked at like one of the girls who buys all burton gear just cause its burton gear. But the Lux looks like a good beginner board and I like the graphics...

How the heck do people end up buying the gear they buy? There is just so much out there and looking at it all just ends up giving to many options. When you have 3 bindings you are considering and 3 or 4 boards you end up with way to many combinations to process

Im thinking now maybe the Lux board with the Madison bindings. Thanks again.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
 
lilfoot1598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying a set up can be mind-boggling, for sure. Luckily, board specs don't matter quite as much for a beginner. Basically, any freestyle deck will work for you - as long as the board isn't too stiff or something you'll grow out of too quickly, you'll be fine. At this point, I'd let the sales choose for me. Keep on eye on the boards mentioned here and buy the one that's priced the best and looks the nicest. You really can't go wrong!
lilfoot1598 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont have any first hand experience with their boards, but i do know that their bindings are on the low end...so i can only assume their boards are too...i'd go with the Saloman or Ride board.

For an all mtn board i'd think you would want something in the low 150's range

'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drake Boards and bindings are fine. They'd be perfect for a beginner/intermediate rider. Drake just got a bad wrap because a few years back they had a few problems, like all bindings do, that they refused to correct. My girlfriend rides the drake jade and they're a solid no frills binding. They're boards are on par with most others in their class. With the Charm you'll be getting exactly what you want. As with any other entry level board you'll want to upgrade in a few years anyways as you progress to more advanced parts of the mountain.
Extremo is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
newbiesara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Drake Boards and bindings are fine. They'd be perfect for a beginner/intermediate rider. Drake just got a bad wrap because a few years back they had a few problems, like all bindings do, that they refused to correct. My girlfriend rides the drake jade and they're a solid no frills binding. They're boards are on par with most others in their class. With the Charm you'll be getting exactly what you want. As with any other entry level board you'll want to upgrade in a few years anyways as you progress to more advanced parts of the mountain.
Thanks. I was in my local shop today and they had the drakes on sale for $99. I asked the guy about them and he indicated they were good binding and that they were more of a binding company than a board company and they didn't stock the boards. However he said he has be riding drakes for a long time and they are good quality. I was at my other local shop and they have the Lux on sale for $209 so the set up would cost total $300 - i think thats what im gonna do.

I was actually out on a hunt for wrist gurads... had to go to 5 different shops before i found some. The guy at one shop said the schools locally made it manditory to have wrist guards for ski trips so in the course of a week they had 30ish parents come in and cleaned out their stock.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesara View Post
I was actually out on a hunt for wrist gurads... had to go to 5 different shops before i found some. The guy at one shop said the schools locally made it manditory to have wrist guards for ski trips so in the course of a week they had 30ish parents come in and cleaned out their stock.
Check out the new burton support gloves. Wrist guards kind of suck, I currently use dakines, and they really only give you slight protection. The support gloves have a mechanism on the back of the hand that wont allow your wrist to flex backwards but allows full flexabily forwards.
Extremo is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
newbiesara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Check out the new burton support gloves. Wrist guards kind of suck, I currently use dakines, and they really only give you slight protection. The support gloves have a mechanism on the back of the hand that wont allow your wrist to flex backwards but allows full flexabily forwards.
Thats good to know. I am more of a mitten person, I'm sure i could get used to gloves though. I ended up picking up (before i saw this post) the red impact guards. They fit good under my burton mitts and i feel that they will provide enough stability to keep me relaxed, so that im not constantly focused on it. I don't want to end up back in cast EVER... worst 6 weeks of my life

EDIT: now i see they have support mittens. Im gonna see if i can take back the guards to get these.
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome