Tuning Kits? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tuning Kits?

I've never had to maintain a board before but I'm hearing that it's not hard to do yourself, as long as you have the proper materials and know what you are doing. That being said I read a few articles and decided I might as well give it a shot. One article directed me here for tuning kits: FK Tools Ski & Snowboarding Tuning Tools, Waxes and Accessories
Does anyone have any experience with fktools or does anyone have any recommendations for other kits?
ShortAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Upon further research I found this kit:
Da Kine Super Tune Kit - Online Snowboard Shop

It seems like it has everything I could possibly need and the price doesn't seem terrible either.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Luigi6459

Yeah I'm picking up the dakine super tune myself. I probably could buy the pieces seperately for cheaper but I'm lazy and it's convient
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi6459
Yeah I'm picking up the dakine super tune myself. I probably could buy the pieces seperately for cheaper but I'm lazy and it's convient
Yeah. I might end up getting a brush or two to use after waxing and a tool/screwdriver for taking out bindings or changing the angles, but other than that the kit seems pretty solid, especially for someone new to maintaining a snowboard like me.

Edit: My dad thinks it's a waste and that probably only serious boarders wax/tune up/etc. I'm trying to convince him otherwise but to be honest I'm not sure lol. It seems to me like a good investment and I have no problems spending the money on it, but is it really necessary for a rider who goes on weekend/day trips 2-3 times a year (I may go more in college next year in which case I'll get it, but if I stay the usual 2-3 times I dunno.) I just wanna keep my new board well maintained.

Last edited by ShortAssassin; 12-17-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you're only going maybe 10 days out of the season don't spend the $ now just get it waxed and tuned at the half way point. Honestly I have my edges done for me when I want them sharpened and I wax my own board but I go at least 30 days a season so it's worth it...
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution
if you're only going maybe 10 days out of the season don't spend the $ now just get it waxed and tuned at the half way point. Honestly I have my edges done for me when I want them sharpened and I wax my own board but I go at least 30 days a season so it's worth it...
Ugh this is turning into a dilemma lol. I think that if I get it I will use it, and if I don't then I will be to lazy to go to the shop. So I guess I'm just gonna get it for the betterment of my snowboard lol.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Is there a list on this website of things that you can buy individually to create your own tuning kit?
djTae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortAssassin
Ugh this is turning into a dilemma lol. I think that if I get it I will use it, and if I don't then I will be to lazy to go to the shop. So I guess I'm just gonna get it for the betterment of my snowboard lol.
Shit I'd say just buy it, tell your dad that even if you're not a serious snowboarder YET, that it still wouldn't be a bad thing if you were an educated rider, and you will eventually NEED that kit when you do become more serious. You are taking the right steps, I've been riding for pretty much 3 years and although I can do a decent wax job on my board, I don't know the first thing about edge tuning, and since it's looking like I may get over 100 days this season (probably a bit more!) I wish I learned how to do my edges a LONG time ago.

Also with that said, I myself will be getting the Dakine kit. I've got two shops within a mile of my house that both highly reccomend it.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 12-21-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right
Shit I'd say just buy it, tell your dad that even if you're not a serious snowboarder YET, that it still wouldn't be a bad thing if you were an educated rider, and you will eventually NEED that kit when you do become more serious. You are taking the right steps, I've been riding for pretty much 3 years and although I can do a decent wax job on my board, I don't know the first thing about edge tuning, and since it's looking like I may get over 100 days this season (probably a bit more!) I wish I learned how to do my edges a LONG time ago.
Yeah I ended up buying it and it's on the way from Colorado. After showing my dad some maintenance videos I think he's a little more convinced. We even detuned by tail/nose last night. My logic was basically that if I DIDN'T get the kit i wouldn't keep the board maintained because I'd be too lazy to go get shit done at a shop. However if I did get the kit I'd go bonkers with it lol. Edge tuning and waxing more than necessary lol.