New board for gf. Need advice. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
xil

Question New board for gf. Need advice.

Hi, new to the forums.

Need some advice on a new board for my gf. This is her 2nd year of riding. We've gone a total of about 30 times since last season. She's been progressing very quickly. Right now she can handle most double blacks in the north east no problem.

Fully loaded she's about 5' 1" and around 125. She's been riding a used mens burton custom 144cm that's about 13 years old.

She has no problems carving down the trails but when it gets choppy and she's bombing straight down, she's been complaining about a lot of chatter. Our best guess was that the board was too stiff for her and not enough damping. She tried out a girl friend's supermodel in 148cm and said it was a lot more stable at speed.

So she's thinking of upgrading to a new board that might suit her better. Basically she's looking for something that'll handle mixed conditions (hardpacked groomed, ice, etc) here in the northeast, where we primarily go, but can still ride pow out west. She doesn't do park so it'll mostly be AM/FR boards that she's considering. Right now we've narrowed it down to a 146cm never summer lotus-r. Would this be a right board? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First of all, props to your girl for learning on a board like that. I don't think I could have done it.

The Lotus-r would be an excellent choice!

At 125 pounds, she may want to go a bit longer than 144, too.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
xil

We've narrowed it down to the 146cm Never Summer Lotus-R or the 147cm Burton Feelgood ES.

The thing is, she's worried that the Lotus is a little too much board for her plus being reverse camber, a little bit of a transition whereas the ES, she can just step right into.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pics of gf or gtfo
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xil View Post
We've narrowed it down to the 146cm Never Summer Lotus-R or the 147cm Burton Feelgood ES.

The thing is, she's worried that the Lotus is a little too much board for her plus being reverse camber, a little bit of a transition whereas the ES, she can just step right into.
I wouldn't look at it that way. The NS Lotus is a board she can get on to right away for sure and progress with. It won't be to much board but the Feelgood is blah! She won't get bored with the NS as fast. If you are in a place where she can demo one I would highly recommend that. The NS has a 3 year warranty too!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Lotus is a pretty stiff board, for sure. Have you considered the Never Summer Infinity instead? Softer board, but still rips all mountain. Plus it's a damp board and the Vario Grip will help her ride that East Coast ice. I wouldn't worry about the reverse camber transition - it doesn't take long to get used to and I think reverse camber makes the board more versatile.

Of course, the Feelgood is an excellent board as well. Can she demo?
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Feelgood ES is blah? If anything, that board might be too much for her. The Feelgood ES is one of the best female boards on the market. It uses Burton's best core plus the Vapor topsheet which makes the board super light. It is basically a female Custom X. It is super poppy and great for pipe or hardpack. This is a strong intermediate - advanced board. If your girlfriend can handle stiff, fast boards then the Feelgood ES is definitely a great board for her.

If not, then you should consider the Feelgood instead. Even better, the V-Rocker version. Burton's rocker tech is more mellow (lower profile) than others so it still holds an edge really well on groomers and steeps. It's a good introduction to rocker tech. The Feelgood is a little heavier than the ES and is also a bit softer. It still has lots of pop though. Hannah Teter, Kelly Clark, Molly Aguirre, and my fiancee's sister ride this version of the Feelgood. This is basically a female Custom just like the ES is a female Custom X.

Both the Feelgood and Feelgood ES have won numerous awards and receives great reviews.

Funny how the same people who say the Feelgood sucks will say the Custom is a good board

The NeverSummer Lotus-R is another great board. It's stiffer in the tail and softer in the nose and middle. This board is great on powder and because of the multi-flex, the board chatter is kept to a minimum at speeds. This is the female version of the male Premier F1-R.

All of these above boards are killer. The Feelgood ES might be too much for her to handle though considering her experience. That board is wicked fast just like the Custom-X. Go with the most affordable route.

Personally, I'd go for the Feelgood V-Rocker. It's just a more versatile board in my opinion. Especially if she ever gets into jumping whether it be off of natural features or in-park kickers.

By the way, I know she's currently on a Custom. But the board has changed in the past 13 years.

If you think she can handle a Feelgood ES's speed, then go for it. Just make sure she wears a helmet at least :P

Last edited by Leo; 02-17-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
xil

The feelgood es we might be able to demo this weekend but there aren't any places to demo the lotus around here.

we also looked at the gnu b-pro but feel like if we're gonna get that, might as well get the lotus (she likes the graphics better).

the only board she's demo'ed so far was a friend's supermodel and she said it was a much more damped ride

Right now, her concerns are

a) the current board is too slow. She bought it used and i honestly don't think it's been waxed in like 4-5 years.
b) everyonce in a while when she's bombing down a black nonstop, she has complained that the board chatters too much at high speed.
c) wish she could carve better on ice

there really isn't anything that she won't be able to hash out herself but a new board would make moving on easier and more fun. i really give her a lot of credit for learning on the board, she can keep up with me pretty well on some trails as long as it's not too bumpy or crowded. but she just got a big bonus at work and figured something new that was actually meant for her would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrwilco View Post
Pics of gf or gtfo
lol too sultry to post
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look into getting her into a lesson or a women's clinic (if offered at the mountain you are riding at). This could help both out points b and c. Even though I have to admit the chatter could be a result of a too stiff board.

"Lessons ain't just for beginners"
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chatter usually comes from softer boards. Stiff boards dampen the chatter better. Also, cambers are better at dampening chatter as well versus rockers.

A lot of rockers these days have dampening properties though so chatter is a non issue. Examples are Burton's Smooth Ride and K2's HarshMellow.

If you guys ride a lot of ice, you might want to consider Mervin brand boards like Lib Tech and GNU. Their Magnatraction boards work extremely well on ice.