Need help buying first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help buying first board

Hey all, I literally just joined last night and only posted in the introductory forum, so I figured I'd move along to here.

I've gone boarding a couple of times now and I love it. I happen to go to school that's about 20 minutes away from a mountain, so I'd be able to go a couple of times a week. With that being said, I'm looking to get my first board.

Some stats about me:
6'2"
250 lbs.
Size 13 shoe

From what I understand, I'd need a wide board (26.5 cm?) and a board that's minimum 164 cm.? Also, I plan on sticking mainly with riding. I may one day venture into back-country riding, but that wouldn't be for a few years at least.

Can anybody offer some advice?
wolfbaden6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup your about right..with size 13 boots i wouldnt go any smaller than 26cm waist. A buddy has some size 13 Burton Rulers and they fit ok on a 25.9cm waist board, a bit of overhang but nothing catastrophic since his foot are lifted in his bindings.

And yes 164 min for someone your size i'd say.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok cool good to know. I've also read that wide boards suck, but I've also heard that was years ago when board-making companies didn't really cater to big-footed people. Is that still true?

Edit:
I also stumbled across this set-up http://www.the-house.com/board-pkg-730.html
I would obviously try on the boots and get a feel for the set-up before purchasing, but it looks fairly promising. Any thoughts?

Last edited by wolfbaden6; 02-16-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
stichotik

your best bet is to check out "backcountry.com" . Best return policy on the planet and a wide selection of current and past models of everything.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbaden6 View Post
Can anybody offer some advice?
Yes. Read all of this thread, then do your homework. If you have questions after all that done, then give us a heads-up!

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok cool good to know. I've also read that wide boards suck, but I've also heard that was years ago when board-making companies didn't really cater to big-footed people. Is that still true?
No, they don't suck. Toe/Heel drag sucks. I've riding wide boards since 1997 and have had a few narrow boards and regualr wide boards along the way. Even decked out some of my boards with the Palmer Riser Plates. I've always been more comfortable on the wide board due to decreased toe/heel drag without having to be extra cautious about being booted out of turn or the sensation of being even further away from the snow. Because our feet levers are longer the transition time from edge to edge doesn't feel slow say like a small footed rider riding the same wide board.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stichotik View Post
your best bet is to check out "backcountry.com" . Best return policy on the planet and a wide selection of current and past models of everything.
Yeah that wasn't much help with anything. Nice attempt at an ad placement. You got me to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Yes. Read all of this thread, then do your homework. If you have questions after all that done, then give us a heads-up!
Awesome thread. I actually happened to read through the website from where you paraphrased/quoted a lot of the info, so it was nice to read a little more. The website about stance was really good reading too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
No, they don't suck. Toe/Heel drag sucks. I've riding wide boards since 1997 and have had a few narrow boards and regualr wide boards along the way. Even decked out some of my boards with the Palmer Riser Plates. I've always been more comfortable on the wide board due to decreased toe/heel drag without having to be extra cautious about being booted out of turn or the sensation of being even further away from the snow. Because our feet levers are longer the transition time from edge to edge doesn't feel slow say like a small footed rider riding the same wide board.
Thanks that's good news for me. When I went out this past Saturday, I was experiencing a lot of toe-drag (used a rental board) and I think it might have caused me a lot of trouble learning how to carve on my toe-side. I don't think i'd feel comfortable with the risers you mentioned, so I'm pretty sure a wide board is the way to go.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
stichotik

[QUOTE=wolfbaden6;256797]Yeah that wasn't much help with anything. Nice attempt at an ad placement. You got me to look.

I'm actually a customer of backcountry and have had nothing but a positive relationship with them. Following the link that YOU posted, I wanted to ensure you would have the same experience enjoying your newly found hobby. Considering your headline clearly stated "Need help BUYING first board." Unless I don't understand the meaning of buying, I guess my post would be of no help. And remember, it isn't me you're mad at, it's your father.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=stichotik;256892]
Quote:
Yeah that wasn't much help with anything. Nice attempt at an ad placement. You got me to look.

I'm actually a customer of backcountry and have had nothing but a positive relationship with them. Following the link that YOU posted, I wanted to ensure you would have the same experience enjoying your newly found hobby. Considering your headline clearly stated "Need help BUYING first board." Unless I don't understand the meaning of buying, I guess my post would be of no help. And remember, it isn't me you're mad at, it's your father.
My bad. I thought you were just spamming the website. I know how to spend money, so physically purchasing a board isn't the problem. I guess I should have phrased the thread differently lol
Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

*moderator rattles his saber"

Let's all be mindful that this thread not take on a negative tone.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote