Another board size question - 6'4 200lbs - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another board size question - 6'4 200lbs

Hi guys,

I've searched and read, but i'm still not totally sure about what size board to get. I've only rented boards before in the 158-160cm length (and i don't think very wide) and i'm now looking to buy my first board.

I'm 6'4, 200lbs, and wear a size 14 Burton boot. So i know i need a wide board, but what length? From what i've read 160 seems a little short for me? But thats what i've ridden so far and they seemed fine to me. What will a longer board do for me? Should i shoot for the 162-164cm range?

I want an "all mountain" do all type board. I'm mostly goofy footed, but i occasionally ride switch for a bit, too. no tricks or anything, just cruising down mountains in the northeast.

What brands/models are recommended for my size and for a beginner price range? I'm mostly looking used so models a couple years old are good, too. I just can't get my head around all these options.

Thanks, all!
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check the below link out for some board reviews.
Good Wood Men’s Snowboards Under $399

Make sure you go wide as toe/heel drag sucks.

I'm 6' and ride a 159W and a 164W. Being 6'4" just make sure you can have a wide enough binding stance to be stable on whatever board you buy.

Also check this one out: Arbor Roundhouse Snowboard - Snowboard Shop > Snowboards > Men's Snowboards
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You are fine with a 160cm board. That is actually right on the money for your measurements. You can even do a 159wide for that little extra control. You should go longer if you do mostly powder riding as they will give you better float. For all purpose though, definitely 159 or 160 both wide.

For your style, look for boards that are on the stiffer side. Some recommendations...

Rossignol One Mag

Rossignol Angus

Ride Control

K2 Format
Old 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

Wow REI has a 158cm 08/09 Ride Control for $175... i wish they had it locally, i'm going snowboarding this weekend! A guy on craigslist has a '07/08 Ride Control that he's asking $200 for. Thats obviously no good w/ the price above. I wonder if he'd come down a lot. Do you guys know if the model has changed much over the years?

Also what is considered a wide waist? The Ride Control is 25.2cm wide in the 158 length...

A local rental shop also has a used Burton Cruzer 158 for $220 w/ some Burton Progression bindings. These are the rental type bindings with the quick swivel adjustment for foot angle. I don't know if those are a good idea or not. This $220 is a fair deal for that?

Last edited by TXBDan; 02-16-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Thanks guys.

Wow REI has a 158cm 08/09 Ride Control for $175... i wish they had it locally, i'm going snowboarding this weekend! A guy on craigslist has a '07/08 Ride Control that he's asking $200 for. Thats obviously no good w/ the price above. I wonder if he'd come down a lot. Do you guys know if the model has changed much over the years?

A local rental shop also has a used Burton Cruzer 158 for $220 w/ some Burton Progression bindings. These are the rental type bindings with the quick swivel adjustment for foot angle. I don't know if those are a good idea or not. This $220 is a fair deal for that?
Don't get the rentals whatever you do. Also, never, ever buy used boots. As for the Ride Control, it has not changed. I had a 2007 Ride Control and I loved it.

You know, come to think of it... I'm not sure if Ride Controls come in wide. Be sure to get a wide board. You need it for sure with your 14 size boots.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

hrmm well this shop loaded up w/ lots of gear and just went out of business. So its fairly low usage stuff. I got my boots there, brand new never used Burton Poacher ('09 models) for $49 because they were marked as rentals. They just never got rented out being 14s in the short time they were open.

So i called the shop. The board is a 159cm Wide. She said its a Burton Cruzer, but she said they are a special rental version. She said its a little more durable... Any idea what that means? Does it mean crappy and heavy? They also are selling only w/ the adjustable-angle bindings for $220.

Last edited by TXBDan; 02-16-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: gfg
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

finding a reasonably priced semidirectional wide board isnt so easy.

I'm eyeballing the Sierra Crew now for $250... Any other ideas under $250ish?

Thanks again
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
hrmm well this shop loaded up w/ lots of gear and just went out of business. So its fairly low usage stuff. I got my boots there, brand new never used Burton Poacher ('09 models) for $49 because they were marked as rentals. They just never got rented out being 14s in the short time they were open.

So i called the shop. The board is a 159cm Wide. She said its a Burton Cruzer, but she said they are a special rental version. She said its a little more durable... Any idea what that means? Does it mean crappy and heavy? They also are selling only w/ the adjustable-angle bindings for $220.
Heavy isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're looking for stability and stiffness for high speeds. Light boards tend to chatter more in chop when you are zipping through them, it can make picking your lean angle...interesting.

As for durability... I wouldn't pay the shopkeeper any mind. What matters is what kind of condition the board is in when you get it. All bindings should have adjustable angles, so ignore that too. Check the board out to see what condition its in and see if the bindings suck or not. $220 is only a so-so deal for a used set-up if the bindings are some crappy model. See if you can score the board for $100-$120 and get your own bindings.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I see.

Ah, i meant that the angle of the bindings is quick adjustable. A toothed round part is screwed to the board. Then the bindings have mating teeth that set on the board part at the right angle. Then like a quick lock cam locks them together. So to change the angel you lift up a little lever, turn it, lift off the binding, put it back on at a new angle, lock the cam, fold the lever down.

Yeh, i'm not totally sure about that deal. Not bad though i guess and i could pick it up tomorrow and ride it this weekend. for $220... tempting. Length and Width look perfect.. bindings should work and i guess easy adjustment is good for a beginner. Its a nondirectional board... its just a little ugly, but who cares i guess.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Where do you ride? Do you plan on riding switch or hitting the park?
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote