Buying First Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
anonymoose24

Default Buying First Board

Hey guys, just signed up for the forum and I'd like a bit of help. I have been snowboarding since the beginning of this season four or five times. I am getting sick of all the rental fees and figured it was about time I found a board.
Some info about me:
5'11"
around 150 lbs
size 11 shoe
male
15 years old
I live around the Atlanta area so most of the snowboarding I do is in the southeast (North Carolina) and there isn't much powder down here. I have around 500 dollars to spend on the board and was scouring the internet reading reviews and I've picked a few that seen right for me. I wanted your advice to see which you guys think would be best for a beginner.

The Burton Bullet
Burton Bullet - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

The Rome Crail
Rome Crail - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

The Burton Blunt
Burton Blunt - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

So far, those are my top three. Of course, I am open to any suggestions you guys may have! Thanks a lot in advance

--Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

You aren't ready for reverse camber yet so let's toss the Blunt out...

Of the remaining two I would suggest the Burton Bullet in a 160. The 157 would probably fit you better TODAY, but you are 15 years old and still growing.
sepdxsnwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Out of those choses I would chose the Blunt at the 156W or 158W. You might be even able to get away with a normal width Blunt as well. I would stay away from the Rome only on the basis of board waist width which is pretty narrow. I wouldn't go too much smaller than a 156 with whatever you decided to go with since you probably aren't done growing. And without having to much powder the Blunt should be the better board for freestyle between the two Burtons.

Also Consider the K2 Darkstar, the Ride Kink wide, and the Rome Machine or Manual
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does $500 include board and bindings? For $500 you can get pretty much any board you want.

If you like the bullet, you should jump up to a burton mayhem or custom. Overall a better board than the bullet and something you can grow into.

Your boot size is pushing it if you grow, but I'd just get a burton uninc from 2009 off sierra.
CornedBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I live in Atlanta. Roswell, up GA400 actually. The first thing I will recommend is for you to stop going to sucky ass NC and put down the cash for CO, UT, or WY next season (or this season). See if you can get in on a trip with a friend if your family isn't gonna go. You'll have a BLAST.

Atlanta has one or two decent boardshops. Best selection is at Ambush off Barrett Pkwy. Rocky Mtn Ski on Roswell Rd has a decent selection (and they carry NS), but the prices are... well, ski shop prices (high). There is the discount Peter Glen at Galleria (Cumberland), but they have very little in stock right now as far as boards... but it might be a good idea to pick up some boots or bindings there if you are looking to save a little.

5'11" and 150 lbs? You're all skin and bones, man... still growing, eh? I'd buy for the future and get something in the 157-160 range. Don't get hung up on a brand, or getting this season's stuff.
Softer boards are usually easier for beginners to get around on, but if you've been a couple of times already then you're well on your way.

I"m thinking that a park board would be a good compromise. Park boards are generally lighter, with more flex... but you'll be buying something a bit longer than normal (meant for a heavier person) which will help mitigate the soft flex for normal riding.

Instead of giving you model names... go out and check the websites and see what you like. Rome, Ride, Flow, GNU, K2, NeverSummer, Capita, LibTech, Arbor, Atomic, Salomon, all make quality stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose24 View Post
Hey guys, just signed up for the forum and I'd like a bit of help. I have been snowboarding since the beginning of this season four or five times. I am getting sick of all the rental fees and figured it was about time I found a board.
Some info about me:
5'11"
around 150 lbs
size 11 shoe
male
15 years old
I live around the Atlanta area so most of the snowboarding I do is in the southeast (North Carolina) and there isn't much powder down here. I have around 500 dollars to spend on the board and was scouring the internet reading reviews and I've picked a few that seen right for me. I wanted your advice to see which you guys think would be best for a beginner.

The Burton Bullet
Burton Bullet - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

The Rome Crail
Rome Crail - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

The Burton Blunt
Burton Blunt - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

So far, those are my top three. Of course, I am open to any suggestions you guys may have! Thanks a lot in advance

--Dan
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote