I dimpled my board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default I dimpled my board.

So I created a thread about a torque rating not too long ago, about knowing when to stop tightening my bindings down. I have a good grip and I can usually just keep tightening and tightening. So I'm throwing on my new bindings and notice two sets of 4 dimples under my board.

Is this going to affect the board or it's longevity?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think so. Even with a good grip, the screws can only go so far. Dimples don't do anything bad...except collect wax. Try using only one hand when tightening.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
I don't think so. Even with a good grip, the screws can only go so far. Dimples don't do anything bad...except collect wax. Try using only one hand when tightening.
I always only use one hand. I checked my EVO-R too, and noticed that I can feel dimpling on that as well. Also, I can even see/ feel the shape of the baseplate on the bottom of the board. I imagine it kind of creates a dead spot on the board. I haven't noticed it until today since I threw on a new pair of bindings.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

the dimpling isnt a result of over tightening, but rather because your screws are too long. the bottom of your board is the base, not a hard surface so the screws arent going to bottom out and stop turning. get shorter screws and "keep turning and turning" until you rip your inserts right out of your board or stop going he-man on the board and adjust them until they are snug, not tight..

its a snowboard, not a car.

the dimples should push back down once the screws are backed off and the board is ridden. worste case scenerion the screws can punch a hole and crack your base.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
the dimpling isnt a result of over tightening, but rather because your screws are too long. the bottom of your board is the base, not a hard surface so the screws arent going to bottom out and stop turning. get shorter screws and "keep turning and turning" until you rip your inserts right out of your board or stop going he-man on the board and adjust them until they are snug, not tight..

its a snowboard, not a car.

the dimples should push back down once the screws are backed off and the board is ridden. worste case scenerion the screws can punch a hole and crack your base.
These are actually two different issues. Dimples are typically caused by overtightening. These are concave and are caused by the screw pulling the insert slighty upwards in the board towards the binding disk. The bottom of the insert is flat and laminates to the lower structures in the board and when overtightened the insert pulls up on these structures creating the dimple. Overtightening can range from a minor upwards pull to a free spinning, torn free insert (we usually only see that when a power tool is used).

Using too long a screw can cause the "braille effect", when the base is forced outwards (away from the bindings) by the oversized screw pushing downward on the base of the board. Most (but not all) inserts have solid metal bases that will bottom out a screw that is too long.

Looking at an insert may be helpful in understanding what is going on:

Last edited by Wiredsport; 02-16-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

hmmm...

thanks for the clarification. when i think dimple i think a convex bump like the brail effect you mentioned, not the concave (and probably intended) feature as in a dimple on someones face. operator error on my part. ha. and thanks for the picture, ive never seen an insert out of the board. but now im stumped... if the insert is capped then how does too long of a screw brail the bottom of the board? shouldnt it bottom out?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
hmmm...

thanks for the clarification. when i think dimple i think a convex bump like the brail effect you mentioned, not the concave (and probably intended) feature as in a dimple on someones face. operator error on my part. ha. and thanks for the picture, ive never seen an insert out of the board. but now im stumped... if the insert is capped then how does too long of a screw brail the bottom of the board? shouldnt it bottom out?
When the screw is too long and you tighten them down WAY to hard it'll actually force the bottom flange of the insert to push down. This is bad! Get new shorter screws or grind some off the length on a grinder or something. Blue Locktite applied to your new shorter screws will ensure they don't loosen themselves up since they won't be cranked down as tight this time
Jameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Man whats up with all of the binding bolt questions today! Its not rocket science people!

Dont torque on it like your life depends on it, and remove your bindings if you are storing your board for long periods of time.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

can you post a pic of what your dimpling looks like?
x41133127x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Boardfun420

Lightbulb Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa

hahaha Turn around, bend over and look in the mirror...ahahaha im jk. I had dimples was only from tighting a little to tight, But didnt feel like I was, Just didnt take as much as I thought to keep my bindings from moving..I just need some screw lock stuff now, then im golden!