I cant ride a ROCKER! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I cant ride a ROCKER!

So ive been riding my 09 Rome Agent 154 for 2 years now. I wanted to see what the hype was about riding a rocker board so i went and bought a K2 152 WWW. The contact points are what kills me... Im always catching the middle and falling backwards or forwards. Is it just my riding? Im a pretty good rider on my Agent (jumps, rails 180's etc) so i got pretty frustrated when i sucked balls on this board. I only gave it about 2 hours and decided to give up. Opinions?
eug3fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

thats strange that you wouldnt be able to get it. then again i basically learned on a banana-tech board so...
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
geesechops

Yeah, I'm not into steering from the middle as opposed to the end contacts points. It's good to hear other opinions on rocker that are similar to mine. I'm sure anyone could get used to rocker if they put the time in, but for me it takes more effort to gain control, which kind of defeats the purpose of rocker for me. And with all the different types of rocker coming and going, I don't want to get used to a board they stop making the next year...ie Custom V-Rocker.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I learned on a camber and then went to my K2 Parkstar (jibrocker just like your www). I was very comfy on a camber and then the first night out on the Parkstar it was like learning how to snowboard again. I spent the first hour and a half just getting comfy and then by the end of the night I had gotten almost back to where I was. HOWEVER and a BIG however, I had shitty bindings on the board the first night because I was waiting on my new bindings to come in where were '10 Flow NXT AT-SE's. The next day out on the new bindings hooooooooly shit the difference was immediate. I was 10x's more comfortable and everything was so precise. The NXT's I ride now are much more stiff (4.5/5 on the Flow rating) and I think that is one of the big reasons since the Parkstar (and the www) are a more flexy board, you need a stiffer binding to help transfer energy into control. The same exact thing for my buddy who made the switch to his NS Legacy-r coming from camber, his first night sucked till he received his new stiffer styled bindings and it was 10x's better.

Now, I looooove my setup. It's perfect and I'm progressing extremely fast on it. (typically pull of a new trick or two an outing)

Sooo, my suggestion now is to take a look at your bindings as they may be the reason why you are not liking your experience.

Last edited by jputtho2; 02-18-2010 at 01:55 AM.
jputtho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Rockers take getting used to. I tried rockered boards for the first time this year when I demoed 2011 boards. Needless to say, it was pretty damn different.

I had similar problems that you are experiencing, but only on steeper and faster runs. This is where a lot of rockers suck. They just aren't meant for riding on hardpack/icey steeps. Rockers are great for freestyling and powder riding. Now, some rockers are combined with various tech to tackle those above mentioned issues. Mervin Boards (Lib Tech, GNU, Roxy, Rossignol) did a great job with combining some of their rocker boards with their Magnatraction. Magnatraction owns the hardpack/ice.

Another issue you need to consider is the height of the rocker. If you get a rockered park board, then the rocker will be higher which means it is harder to engage the edges. This is very useful for jibbers (rails, boxes, etc...), but absolutely sucks for all-mountain.

As for your K2 WWW, you have the Jib Rocker which is their higher profile rocker tech. You will be much better off with their All-Mountain rocker like in the Turbo Dream. I know you mentioned that you do park, but since this is your first rocker, a more low profile rocker would be a better introduction to this technology.

Burton's V-Rockers are inherently lower profile, so you'll be good with those as well. Ride's DH2 has a low-pro rocker too.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm in love with the r.c. tech. After my first run I was stoked. After my first run on my reg camber hitting rails this year I was bummed out that i'd been riding that board for so long. Im real stoked on the contact points.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

its not for everyone. i bought my RC board at the end of last season cause the guy just couldnt get into it.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh boy...you guys have me nervous!

I just set up my new NeverSummer EVO-R with the Rocker/Camber tech and I'm headed out to break it in tomorrow night. I ride on mostly hardpack and ice and do a lot of carving. I also like to spin and jump so I thought this would be the right fit for me. We never have powder here on the Ice (east) Coast. I've been boarding for 12 years so I'm pretty confident I can get used to it.

I just hope I didn't buy into a fad! I'll report back after tomorrow.
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you should be fine. i didnt think it took that much "getting used to".
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Oh boy...you guys have me nervous!

I just set up my new NeverSummer EVO-R with the Rocker/Camber tech and I'm headed out to break it in tomorrow night. I ride on mostly hardpack and ice and do a lot of carving. I also like to spin and jump so I thought this would be the right fit for me. We never have powder here on the Ice (east) Coast. I've been boarding for 12 years so I'm pretty confident I can get used to it.

I just hope I didn't buy into a fad! I'll report back after tomorrow.

dude you will love the evo-r. when i first got my sl-r i couldn't find a single thing that i didn't like with their rocker system, honestly.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote