Big guy wnat'n to upgrade... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Txhoser

Default Big guy wnat'n to upgrade...

Noob looking for real advice.
AGE 34
245lbs.
2rd year on 157 board

I currently have a Lamar 157 Destroyer, Morrow binding and Burton boots.
Pretty sure this combo anit right. Hell the first time I took this ride out it had the bindings on barkwards. Which SportMa,, installed for me. The boots are about the only thing that is holding up and that is questionable. The boots have packed out and feel good.
My question is about Board makers. Who makes a board suited toward me I mean my size. My style is... I go out with my family mainly. My wife skis as does my 5yr old. Nice fun long runs. On the other hand my 8yr old daughter is wanting to hang around the park more and more. Of course dad is the bastard allways maken an azz out of himself at his daughters exspense. Going fast is a blast. I want to upgrade to somthing that is durably and suited toward me. 245lbs.
Can any of yall help me out?

Oh yeah I live in Calgary Canada and go to Sunshine mostly and COP wich is artifical ice/snow. Last years Marmot card was hit 10 times and COP was unaccounted for.
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

If I was your size I'd look at the Lib Tech Skunk Ape. It comes in a 157, but personally I'd go with something bigger if you like going fast. I'm 195lbs and my fresh powder day/going fast board is a 168 burton canyon. Also the Magne traction on the Skunk Ape will be great for the Canada ice. And I'm guessing you have some big feet so this board should accomodate you nicely. If you want something more park oriented look at the lib tech dark series. It's lib tech's wide park board, also with magne traction.
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would say that the 157 is a little on the short side for you. I'm 37 195lbs and my cuiser board is a 161cm. I'm going to say you should be on a 165-167cm board and on the stiffer side for flex. I'm going to guess that a guy your size has some bigger sized dogs to put boots on so a wide board might be needed as well. As far as a specific brand and model, there are others around here that are better able to help you than I.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Txhoser

hey thanks,
Lib tech looks good. Never heard of them. I thought Burton was the way to go but after a couple hours on Snowboardingfourm I found that anit so..
Do I have to go WIDE with my 11's that I stuffed my Dogz into?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

With size 11 I'd say you definitely need at least a midwide. I think a safe waist width would be 25.5cm minimum. What angles do you use for your stance? Ducking your stance could allow you to use a slightly slimmer board.
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't ridden my combo yet, but with size 11 feet, 11.5 snowboard boots, on a mid-wide board (25.4 or so), with angles set to +25/-15, there's just a slight slight slight overhang of toes and heels.
so you'd be safe I think on anything like a 25.4-26 width board
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Txhoser

My current Lamar board is 10.25in wide at the narrowest point,aprox 26cm. I have washed out on big fast turns but just chalked it up to lack of experience. Never thought I might be dragging a boot didn't feel like it.
I will certainly factor width in when getting this next board. Next do snowboards that are stiff not drag boots as much? I just read that a narrow board is faster for swapping edges. That is nessary when guiding this big torpedo down the hill don't want to hurt anyone. Lastly will a stiff board still ollie like this noodle I am on?

Yall have been a huge help seeing how this old fart anit riding with any bros. I am orignally from Texas and snowboarding wasn't that big.