Park Board: K2 Parkstar or Gnu Park Pickle? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Parkstar or Pickle?
Parkstar 12 48.00%
Pickle 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
stimyg

Default Park Board: K2 Parkstar or Gnu Park Pickle?

I've been riding for a few solid years now, but have just started in the park - and I like it. I'm looking for a park specific board. I'm 5'7", 154lbs, currently riding a a Burton Custom 156 and mens size 6.5 salomon boot. I ride almost exclusively out East.

I'm looking for something that's good on rails, jumps, etc. Obviously.

I've narrowed it down to the K2 Parkstar and the GNU Park Pickle, based solely on reading about them. (Don't think I'll get to demo either.)

From what I gather, the Parkstar might be a little soft on the jumps whereas the Pickle might be better in that department? And maybe vice versa for the rails? Is that true at all or am I making that up?

One specific question I have: does the Pickle's magnetraction hurt you on the rails? Is it rail-grabby, at all?

As for my skill level, I just started in the park this year. Pretty comfortable on rails 50/50, just learning to board slide. Jumps I'm still working on popping and just getting decent air. Hopefully the board will help in all departments...

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
canuck_boarder

To be honest, I just demoed a Park Pickle and never took it into the park
I just bombed and carved with it and at that it rocked, not the best but I would sure classify it as an all-mountain board.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
stimyg

Thanks, good to know. Anyone had any park experience with either of these...?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

park pickle would be a good jump specific board and the parkstar would be a good all around park board
my friend has a park pickle and never hits rails with it. The magnetraction can be beneficial for rails because you can detune the edges of the board and still get edge hold but if you are interested in hitting jumps and rails, i would recommend the parkstar over the park pickle

Last edited by jtchompy; 02-22-2010 at 12:15 AM.
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchompy View Post
park pickle would be a good jump specific board and the parkstar would be a good all around park board
my friend has a park pickle and never hits rails with it. The magnetraction can be beneficial for rails because you can detune the edges of the board and still get edge hold but if you are interested in hitting jumps and rails, i would recommend the parkstar over the park pickle

I disagree.. The pickle is the better choice..

Check the following Forest Wins Rails to Riches on a GNU Park Pickle BTX GNU Snowboards
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
stimyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchompy View Post
But... the Park Pickle is the one with magnetraction, so if that's good for rails... wouldn't that make the Pickle the better board for both jumps and rails?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimyg View Post
But... the Park Pickle is the one with magnetraction, so if that's good for rails... wouldn't that make the Pickle the better board for both jumps and rails?

.......EXACTLY
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i say go park pickle. the assymetrical sidecut and mtx will help greatly on teh ice coast.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

pickle is the best choice. banana tech and magnetraction make it float on snow in a way the k2 will not be able to compare to.

i have a pickle and there isnt a single aspect where it doesnt perform amazingly. great board for park and anything else.
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
stimyg

So no objections to magnetraction in the park, I take it? Some people in other forums have talked about MTX being grabby in the park. Although I definitely get the detuning argument...