Time for a powder board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
csf

Default Time for a powder board

After getting to experience real powder conditions, waist deep, last month I'm wondering if I should get a specific powder board or go with a new all mtn board w/ a rocker profile for these epic conditions. My current and only board is a '00 Gnu CHB 150(regular camber) that is a lot of work to make float in the deep stuff! Just looking to bounce some ideas off of those who've wrestled with this same issue. Either way the new board's gotta work well in the trees and when back on the groomer for when the legs need a break!

I've been reading through these forums and manufs sites to get a read on the new tech and options available now. I'm thinking a regular width board that's btwn 152-156 would be about right for my size and powder conditions. The NS summit looks really sweet, but looks a bit too long for me. The burton fish and malolo look intriguing as a powder specific board. Any thoughts on the burton custom rocker, or equivalent, as a all round performer in these powder conditions? Any suggestions to help get started and narrow the field down? Not married to any one manuf. Hoping to demo a few boards soon from the mountain or from the local board shop, Wave Rave. Just hope we get some more powder soon! Thanks for any board and size suggestions you might have!

My specs:

advancing intermediate who's recently developed a strong addiction to powder and tree riding
wt: 150#
ht: 5'-4"
burton ion sz 7 boots
I've got season passes for both mtns so I go just about every weekend
csf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

in the powder depths you'll be riding in mammoth and june (which can be some of the deepest in the world), I wouldn't try to make my powder board be a swiss army knife. Forget about riding groomers on it...when there's powder, ride powder. All powder boards will ride groomers well enough to get you from glade to glade. Jmho

I'm riding a bataleon undisputed in our conditions...and, even then, I set the bindings way back because we usually get such deep, "wet" powder

Last edited by extra0; 02-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do both.

I have a rocker for freestyle and a tapered for powder. Perfect quiver.
sepdxsnwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

At your weight you should also look at a Lib-Tech Mullet 156 BTX...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

some dude on the lift told me he tried a btx, but it didn't work in our snow. It was just too deep and he couldn't back the bindings far back enough. He was riding the new burton fish...which basically has no tail
Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
csf

@extra0: I hear ya about staying in the pow, as long as my back leg can take it. Hopefully a more powder specific board will keep the legs in the game longer. The fish looks fun. I wonder how well it works in the trees?

sepdxsnwbrdr: Eventually! I'd like to have three boards, lol! One for carving, pow, and one that handles everything else in btwn! But I think I'd like to add the pwdr specific brd first.
csf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

How often do you go? depending on how much you go and if there is a spending limit.

Since you are 150 pounds, you may be able to get away on a Supermodel X in 156, but I donnot reccomend it, also that you are 5'4".

For a powder, I would get the malolo, i wasnt impressed with the fish 150 last time I rode it.

Even though the custom X isnt really made for powder, it is a posotive profile board, and really made for fast groomers and not bigass powder, but look into the 152 in that anyways.
kquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Go Mammoth! and June sux.... stop sending ppl there

I'm almost the same size as you, 155, 5-5 size 8 boot. And I ride a SL-R 155 for DEEP pow 18"+ and I ride a Evo-R151 for anything less then 18". SL-R kills the deep pow. Climax was no problem at all (yes I camped out G2 when they open the top for the first run after the epic 4 day storm a month ago =D talk about 2 epic run). Fish would be a good choice and I think that will handle better then the SL-R. But Fish has a very specific use and you can't ride switch! My sister used to ride a Malolo and she said her new GNU B-Pro C2 (similar profile to SL-R) handles the pow better especially in the trees. Oh side note, I looked down on my SL-R on the climax run and I swear the board tip looks to be about 4-5" above the snow.

I used my Evo 151 couple weeks ago at June running down the face of J1. About 2-3' of wet pow on the face and very nice steepness. Evo handles like the pro especially in the trees. Its more work then the SL, but I was a lot more maneuverable.

The problem I run into when I was looking for my powder board was my size 8 foot. Even the SL-R 155 is a little wide but its fine on open pow. If I plan on hitting tight trees, I would use the 151 Evo. Evo doesn't even sink all that much for me and the R-camber makes it pretty easy to lean back if I have to. And you can get a good "bounce" going w/ the Evo.

My suggestion will be to stop by P3 on the next pow day and take out their SL demo boards and try it out. I recommend SL-R 151 since you are aiming for tree runs too and see how that handles for you oh the mountain.

Oh last note, I ride center on both boards .

See you out there!
Camor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

riding center doesn't work for me in our deep pow. Seen pros do it, I've tried it, even set back a tiny bit, but I'm too front footed and need all the help I can get.

Groomers and park are another story, I ride a twin dead center and spin off anything that'll launch me.

Thing is, even all the way in the back seat of my pow board, I still have more tail than my twin. I can land it switch...when I find anything firm enough to send me.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ride pow just fine on my regular camber 160 NS Never Summer. For a regular cambered board, it has excellent flotation. For pow days, I keep my stance the same, I just move the rear binding to the farthest back holes and then move my front binding to match my regular stance. This results in a 19.5" tail and a 21" nose. With that setup, I can pretty much just ride normal, I don't really have to worry about leaning back that much.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote