I need help. PLEASE?!? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Woe, is me

Exclamation I need help. PLEASE?!?

For the past 4 years now i have been snowboarding, 1 week each year. that makes 4 weeks total.
i have gotten to be pretty decent, and would like to actually start buying my own equipment now, rather than renting it every time.
ive been doing some research on my own, and have found a few things i would be interested in getting. just to start me off.
and i dont want to start with cheap stuff. that makes the sport even harder to get into, because you end up frustrated all the time.
here is what i have come up with so far, and then following are some questions.

BOARDS:
i really like the Never Summer lineup.
particularly the SL-R and Circuit-R.
thought on these boards?
or any other suggestions?
so far, all ive learned to do is go fast, i have turning and braking down, and i have hit a few smaller ramps. nothing too serious. but i would definitely like to get better. i doubt if ill ever need a board suitable for pipes, seeing as how i live in georgia, but i occasionally head up to North Carolina and a few other states. I dont however plan on living here forever. i would like to one day move up north where me and my trusty board will enjoy the snow much more frequently.

BOOTS:
I really like the look of the Ride Orions.
They also have some pretty cool features i think i would like, and they are affordable.
Thoughts on those boots?

BINDINGS:
i reallly like the idea of Flow bindings. I have heard many good things, and many bad things about them.
I head the Flow M9 bindings were pretty good.
But they are expensive, for me.
The 2010 Flite 2's looks a little more affordable, but im not sure about the quality of them.
I have also heard if your going with flows, get the NXT AT bindings, or dont bother getting them at all. So idk.
If there are any really good strap on bindings out there that are affordable, under $150, i might like to know about those too.

Basically i am just asking for help on a decent setup that wont break the bank, and that will last me for a while without the need to upgrade very soon.

Thanks for all the help!

QUESTIONS!!
1. On the SL-R board, i hear people say they have a 151cm board. And on some sites, i have seen these. Yet when i go to Never summer, i can find that size nowhere. I also see people with pictures of their SL-R board, and it has a neon green base to it, but i cannot find a 151cm board with that base. the only ones i find with that base are about 155 and up. Why is this? Do they not make the 151cm board with the green base? Or are they just verrryy hard to find.

Here is an example of what im talking about http://www.k5.com/images/products09/...MMER/M/SLR.jpg

i really like that base color for the board, but cant find one in my size.

2. What size board would i need do you think? I have a very awkward body, because im so skinny. I am 5'10" and only weigh 120 pounds. Gotta love that fast metabolism :/
im thinking a 151 might work for me, but because i weigh so little i might actually need a 148 or 149. im not sure.

Last edited by Woe, is me; 02-21-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

flow bindings i think u gotta go big or go home, meaning NXT.
Burton Freestyle Boots
Oakley Jacket
Four Square Pants
Oakley Shaun White A-Frames
dlau247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Woe, is me

yeah, thats what im afraid of..
i might end up just having to stick with the strap bindings.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Woe, is me

Question

scratch that.
the never summer boards are a tad too expensive for me, seeing as how i dont have a job.
i found a cheaper starting board that i think will do me just fine.
the Salomon Riot board. the white one, with green black and blue.
i think its the 2009 model maybe? its only $280.
anybody hear any good or bad things about this board?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the Sierra Crew board? Or even the Sierrascope? Both of those are pretty cheap right now and i havent really heard anything bad about them...

Even though you arent looking for SL-R's anymore, yes they make Neon green in every size. At some point during manufacturing each year they change from Green to Black, why i dont know...maybe the green rocks their factory too hard they cant contain it and have to goto black

I have a 151 09 Neon Green base...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
stichotik

There is some really cheap stuff out there. But generally, anything other than rentals is going to be way better. So if all youre going to be doing is a week a year of snowboarding, I'd recommend not spending much because youre not going to get full use of a $1,xxx setup. Then again with no job, why arent you out there more?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Woe, is me

Exclamation

i would like to be out there more.
im currently a senior in highschool.
as soon as i finish up here though, i really do hope to get more snowboarding in.
i absolutely love it.

I think this is going to be my final setup i have decided on, just to get me started these first few years. I dont want to go all out just yet.

Board: Salomon Riot 2009 or 2010, idk which year it is. its the white one, with blue/green/black splatter on it.

Boots: Ride Orion boots in white.

Bindings: Im still kind of unsure on these. As much as i would like Flows, i think i might just be better off starting with a more reliable pair of bindings, that are more affordable. If anyone has any ideas on some pretty decent bindings under $150, please let me know.
Flow or strap, doesnt matter to me.
i would love to test flows out to see if i like them, but seeing as how i live in georgia, i really dont think there is anywere i can do that. Bummer..
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Woe, is me

Scratch that again.
after doing a bit of research, i think im just going to go with the white union forces.
they seem to be very reliable, and not bad at all for only $140.
thanks everyone for all the help.

and now i have narrowed my board search down to the Salomon Riot, or the sierrascope.
both seem to be reliable boards that will get me where i need to be.

Im still kind of unsure on what size board ill need though.
Most people i see that are 5'10", weigh 150+, and say they ride a 151.
seeing as how im 5'10", and only weigh 120, maybe i should go with a 149?
i am unsure if the 151 will be too big for me?
and unfortunately the sierracope/sierra crew boards smallest size is 152.
i really hope that wouldnt be too big for me.

Last edited by Woe, is me; 02-22-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

the K2 Cinch is another step in binding. while i havent rode them, the one i found at a store felt worlds better than the flows i have. and i like the 2 straps. the thing i really dont like about flows is that sometimes its hard to get the high back to lay down far enough to simply slide your foot out. the K2s feature a system that actually raises the straps away from your boot as the high back lowers. so instead of stepping into the binding and having the high back cram your boot into the straps, everything on the K2s comes together at the same time. i was actually pretty impressed with the design myself, though i couldnt shell out to get them for myself. very solid feeling product. traditional bindings still give you all the features and comfort youll need. youll here a lot of raves about ride and rome.

ive never seen a riot in person but from reading it looks like a decent board. should check out the sierra crew though, youll save yourself $50, might be able to pick up some goggles, tools, or something.

and i say go 151. your not going to ride it until next year anyway right?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
stichotik

i would avoid salomon all together. I don't know every aspect of their company but I do know youll find them at Dick's and Modells. 'nuff said. Look around, this is the time of year to buy stuff because its nearing the end of the season for a lot of the country and many companys / online sellers want to rid of their '09 - '10 merchandise.

My personal favorite is Backcountry.com - amazing return policy

I dont know about you but I like to keep my money in the USA!

Burton (vermont) Never Summer (colorado) Lib Tech (washington-I believe?) are all companies that build boards here. Great companies with great products that have lower end items that won't break the bank.

Would you rather have Honda's flagship accord, or BMW's 1-series?

Last edited by stichotik; 02-22-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling