Old school Palmer board...Holding me back? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
enzo

Default Old school Palmer board...Holding me back?

Newb here,Bought an old Palmer CarbonX with Drake bindings size 157. Been hitting the slopes every weekend for the last 6 weeks (West coast stuff, Sierra Summit, Mt high.) 5 weeks on the Palmer. Really starting to bomb down the hill now and doing the intermediate runs. Palmer is slow in the flats but other than that seems okay.

I am 6'2" and 225 lbs. 11.5 boot and plan all mountain type riding only. I know the Palmer is to short for me but are the new boards night and day better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think the new boards have some very interesting and inventive technology. I don't think your current board is going to hold you back from all mountain riding anytime soon either! If you want to get some more speed on the flats give it a really good wax job! I've got no idea if you've taken it in this season at all. Seeing that it's an older board it might not have had a summer storage wax job in it's lifetime and the base could be in dire need of a good thorough wax soak.

I think the BIGGEST player in the new tech game is camber changes. Followed by core changes and edge changes. As far as charging the mountain on groomed slopes a camber board will transition edge to edge better and be all around more stable imo. The changes some companies have made to edges and sidecuts will help you keep an edge in less than favourable conditions like hard pack and ice. If you wanted to venture into a park and do rails/boxes on your camber board it'll be tougher as I've found out personally lol. My board is a few years old and is just a normal camber board.. boxes/rails are giving me an issue! It's not impossible but the window of success is much narrower lol.

Ok I rambled a bit. To answer your question. I think the newer boards won't be night and day BUT they'll enhance the amount of fun and diversity you can have while riding.
Jameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
enzo

Thanks for the info! I figured my board was fine. But got the bug bad for a new board. Local shop had a Never Summer Legacy-R 161 for 50% off(yep, only two fitty) so I pulled the trigger. Will post thoughts on it after this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (141.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
Thanks for the info! I figured my board was fine. But got the bug bad for a new board. Local shop had a Never Summer Legacy-R 161 for 50% off(yep, only two fitty) so I pulled the trigger. Will post thoughts on it after this weekend.

Nice grab! Awesome boards, you will love it.
crispynz1 is offline   Reply With Quote