Detuning - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
LeeGro

Default Detuning

I have never detuned my board and I have ridden it about 5 or 6 times on the east coast. The snow over here is kinda hard so I was wondering if it would benefit me to detune my edges before I go out to Jackson Hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What do you plan to do at Jackson Hole? I know the East Coast can be hardpacked and icy, but there are lines at Jackson where having a detuned edge could put your life in danger. Literally. There are plenty of steep ass no fall zones there. The only reason I see to detune your edges is if you are a rail rat or beginner...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
LeeGro

I am definitely not going to be doing anything crazy out there.. I know they have some crazy stuff but I am not that good.. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to detune them a tiny bit. Right now they are pretty sharp. I will not be doing any rails but they say to detune if you would like the board to initiate the turn not as fast. I guess I can always go out there and see.. I have been riding it detuned fine .. I just have never heard of it until I started looking at information on the internet.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

just my $.02, i have never benefited from detuning whatsoever. i can ride park just fine with a freshly tuned board. if i was going out to jackson hole i would be damn sure to have my board tuned up and take advantage of the terrain.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
LeeGro

alright sounds good, I am just new to this detuning stuff and wanted to see waht people had to say about it.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm, this is interesting. I've basically read that almost everyone detunes at least their nose and tail edges, and sometimes a little bit of the effective edge. I didn't think it was just a beginner/rail junkie thing.
ShortAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortAssassin
Hmm, this is interesting. I've basically read that almost everyone detunes at least their nose and tail edges, and sometimes a little bit of the effective edge. I didn't think it was just a beginner/rail junkie thing.
Well I do detune the nose/tail of my backcountry boards. The main reason is to help keep my from cutting my or my friends dog badly. Since they enjoy riding with us. Otherwise it's not really needed and I don't do it. I never detune my effective edge, though it has been said that it makes it easier for intermediates and beginners to not hook an edge. I believe that to be true, but it's not an issue I face so who am I to say?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Btw, there isn't really one true school of thought on detuning. You can go either way and you're not wrong.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz
Btw, there isn't really one true school of thought on detuning. You can go either way and you're not wrong.
Yeah I assume it's a matter of preference. Well, I'll definitely take the edge off my nose and tail but now I'm not so sure I wanna take off that inch or two of my effective edge. I'd classify myself as intermediate, and I guess fear of catching an edge prevents me from riding faster, so maybe it's not a bad idea.
ShortAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oh god...NO!

I personally do not detune. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. It is meant to make turn transitions a little easier for beginners.
Slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote