New Detuning Idea - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

Default New Detuning Idea

So I had this thought, because I like to ride about 50 - 50 freeride and park. What if I detuned the center of my edges for boardslides on rails, but left the ends of the effective edge (by the nose and tail) sharp? Ideally, it would make boardslides easier, and you mostly use the ends of your board for turning right? Would detuning like this be a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
trackit

only one way to find out let us know too then
Old 12-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
drrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ SHREDDER 28
So I had this thought, because I like to ride about 50 - 50 freeride and park. What if I detuned the center of my edges for boardslides on rails, but left the ends of the effective edge (by the nose and tail) sharp? Ideally, it would make boardslides easier, and you mostly use the ends of your board for turning right? Would detuning like this be a good idea?
so you only boardslide? Don't care to learn about presses or spins while jibbing. IMO it's a bad idea... just get a 3 degree park tune on your board from a board shop and detune your edges alittle. all said and done.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrice
so you only boardslide? Don't care to learn about presses or spins while jibbing. IMO it's a bad idea... just get a 3 degree park tune on your board from a board shop and detune your edges alittle. all said and done.
No....I do pretty much everything. But you dont use the middle of your board to initiate turns, you use the ends of your effective edge, so its not nearly as important as the ends. I'm kinda reluctant to get a bevel, so I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and what the results were
Old 12-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
bruce22

I detun"ed" my board by landing on a large fat rock....
hidden by 1 inch of snow
eheheheeeheh I owned

My friends "sh1t dude we saw mad sparks"
Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm, it does seem like beveling would work just as well. Is beveling generally only for park riders, or do freeriders do it as well?
ShortAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

this is a good question... i need to get my edges sharpened (tuned, whatevs) soon, cuz I was having probs holding the edge while going straight (esp. while 'skating' w/ one foot out fo the binding...

i'm also reluctant to do it, cuz next time I hit the slopes, i wanna try some rails... whats the best way to tune? will a park 'tune' help with edges while carving/gliding?

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
drrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf
Tuning is something that needs to be done periodically. Edges get dull from riding and if you hit rocks, you need to repair the burrs. I always totally detune the tip and tail since no riding control is done there and it is just to protect your board edges. From the contact points, rouns that edge with a file then smooth burs with a stone.

For the effective edge, most free riders will want a 1 degree base and eithe a 1 degree side or a 2 degree side for more aggresive edge hold. I prefere the 1 degree/2 degree for my riding. A park rider will generally go with a 2/2 on their edges. This reduces edge catches yet still allows the board to hold it`s edge on hardpack. A beginner board will often be a 3/3 or a 3/2 so the board is very forgiving of edge catches. The problem is though, this is next to worthless on ice as you have to use a high edge angle to get it to bite and you end up skidding out.

Some rider do in fact detune their effective edge between the bindings specifically for boardsliding while maintaining a sharp adege under the bindings. This is helpfull for jibbers who want to have some edge control on groomed runs. When doing presses or spins, the rider has to still use more caution for edge catches.

Ideally, a rider will have a jib board and a regualar all mountain board, if not, I tend to favor the overall 2 degree bevel over the detuning idea.
Don't you always want a 90 degree angle for your edges? So doing a 1/2 wouldnt be ideal would it... atleast from what i understand.