Absolute Beginner Looking For Help With Boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
freerider88

Default Absolute Beginner Looking For Help With Boards

So basically, I'm an absolute beginner (I've only been once), but I know that I want to pursue snowboarding, and I was wondering if there are some beginner boards that you guys would recommend that are fairly easy on the wallet, but not so cheap that they are absolute garbage either? I also need help with bindings and am willing to spend a fair amount on good bindings, because getting in and out was a huge pain in the arse for me, and I want something that is a bit simpler than the ones I had to use with the rental equipment (can't give you the specific name, but I think they were rossignol since the board/boots were rossignol and were the clicker kind, and I fumbled with them a lot). I know this isn't the proper section technically, but I'm sure you guys have some insight about good bindings as well. I've heard good things about flow, but I mostly want something that's reasonably priced and fairly easy to get in and out of while still maintaining good control of the board.

Also, in case it matters, I know that I eventually want to get into freestyle snowboarding and hitting terrain parks.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider88 View Post
So basically, I'm an absolute beginner (I've only been once), but I know that I want to pursue snowboarding, and I was wondering if there are some beginner boards that you guys would recommend that are fairly easy on the wallet, but not so cheap that they are absolute garbage either? I also need help with bindings and am willing to spend a fair amount on good bindings, because getting in and out was a huge pain in the arse for me, and I want something that is a bit simpler than the ones I had to use with the rental equipment (can't give you the specific name, but I think they were rossignol since the board/boots were rossignol and were the clicker kind, and I fumbled with them a lot). I know this isn't the proper section technically, but I'm sure you guys have some insight about good bindings as well. I've heard good things about flow, but I mostly want something that's reasonably priced and fairly easy to get in and out of while still maintaining good control of the board.

Also, in case it matters, I know that I eventually want to get into freestyle snowboarding and hitting terrain parks.

thanks
First off, welcome to the family. I hope you don't like your job, school, or other interests that much, because those are sure to suffer

A great place to start will be to let us all know your weight, foot size, and what area of the country you will typically be riding.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
First off, welcome to the family. I hope you don't like your job, school, or other interests that much, because those are sure to suffer

A great place to start will be to let us all know your weight, foot size, and what area of the country you will typically be riding.
haha amen to that!

Anyways welcome to snowboarding dude!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
freerider88

Quote:

Thanks man! I'm really small: 5 foot 6, 145 lbs, male. I'm from Oregon, so I'll be hitting up Meadows, Timberline, and other resorts on mt hood. Maybe even Bachelor?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Thanks man! I'm really small: 5 foot 6, 145 lbs, male. I'm from Oregon, so I'll be hitting up Meadows, Timberline, and other resorts on mt hood. Maybe even Bachelor?
The Pac NW is a great place to be for riders. One more thing, we still need your foot size.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dude I was in the same boat as you a few months and now I feel like I'm a intermediate or high end noob I am also the exact same size as you and I feel that I'm not that small, but I'm cut up like a 25yr old athlete that is 41 so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway I went with a board that I could grow into, K2 Parkstar 152, and Flow NXT's(awesome by the way for all you flow haters). I'm going to suggest you get a board you can grow into and not one that you will out grow in a year. Some on here swear by getting a noob noodle to make the learn process easier. I disagree, no pain no gain and at the prices of boards and gear you might as well get as much board as you can. So many good deals going on right now. My buddy just got a Sierrascope, $250, and swears by it but it's fugly to me but to each their own. You say your in Oregon so I will assume that is mostly powder which a rocker style board would be best on. I ride groomers and hard pack and love my rocker also so basically a rocker board is what I suggest. It's just the new evolution in snowboards from the much research that I have done. Pick your riding style, match a rocker board that has been reviewed well to that style in your price range and go for it.
Bindings, very important probably as much as the board. I like the Flow NXT's. They will take a little set up time and a few hours on the slopes to loosen up so your boot slips in and out and bamm you will in and out of your bindings and board with ease. They have excellent support and comfy too. You will be unique too as most the sheep all have the same cranking strapped bindings that look to me to be a pain the ass. I get many looks and complements on my bindings, but by all means do your research and get what's right for you. I think high end Flows are more practical and just plain look cool. By the way the NXT's can be used just like ratchet bindings if need be but you won't if you set them up right.
If you have a place to demo then by all means do so, if not like me then research, research, and more research then find deals. There are tons of deals out there and don't ever by at retail prices. Same deal for pants and jacket which is another whole discussion. Good luck, shoot me a msg if you need help.
Volnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
freerider88

Quote:
The Pac NW is a great place to be for riders. One more thing, we still need your foot size.
I'm a bit unsure about the shoe size, but I'd estimate its between 8.5-9...9.5 at the very most (doubt it), but 8s definitely felt really uncomfortable for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm a bit unsure about the shoe size, but I'd estimate its between 8.5-9...9.5 at the very most (doubt it), but 8s definitely felt really uncomfortable for me.
Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnutz View Post
I like the Flow NXT's. They will take a little set up time and a few hours on the slopes to loosen up so your boot slips in and out and bamm you will in and out of your bindings and board with ease. They have excellent support and comfy too. You will be unique too as most the sheep all have the same cranking strapped bindings that look to me to be a pain the ass.
First off, I like the Flow NXTs. I also like my rides. Am I a sheep for using straps, I guess so. I also use a PC instead of a Mac and drive a car instead of a motorcycle. Just following the crowd with no legitimate reasoning. I hope to one day be as enlightened and progressive as you.

OP, if you are on a budget I would spend your money on your boots, bindings and then board. You may outgrow a beginner deck quickly, but having a poor fitting but wallet pleasing boot will kill your feet and super cheap bindings will wear out faster than a cheap board. If you decide to go with a decent strap binding, you will get faster strapping in with practice so don't let that turn you off straps completely. Flow NXTs are great, I don't like any other binding in their line (I've tried almost all of them). Ride and Rome make some pretty solid bindings as well. As for a board, if you get a more beginner board as long as you keep the base waxed and the edges maintained, it'll keep with you until you can afford something better. If you do have some extra cash, Capita makes some solid, reasonable priced decks. As does the SierraSnowboard house brand. What are you thinking budget wise? That would help elicit some specific suggestions.

Last edited by sook; 02-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sook View Post
OP, if you are on a budget I would spend your money on your boots, bindings and then board. You may outgrow a beginner deck quickly, but having a poor fitting but wallet pleasing boot will kill your feet and super cheap bindings will wear out faster than a cheap board.
this.

beginner disclaimer: never cheap out on boots. take your time, try on as many as possible, and do not get budget conscious on the boots. i'm not saying go break the bank on the most expensive boots you can find, but you should definitely stay away from ordering something that's cheap and on sale (and definitely not online, unless you've tried them on in-store first).

step two: bindings. step three: board.