sierrascope out of plastic, detune for east coast? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
magronbass

Default sierrascope out of plastic, detune for east coast?

I'm always at bluemountain, which is in the tristate area and the situation is always pretty much hard packed ice. Just got my sierrascope and was wondering if I should go ahead with detuning, or leave it be? I'm all mountain, minimal park, and working on ground tricks.. I'm also up in the sides, in the trees a lot. Def not speed. Any advice appreciated. First ride coming up this weekend so at this point, I don't know how it rides yet.

Last edited by magronbass; 02-23-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magronbass View Post
I'm always at bluemountain, which is in the tristate area and the situation is always pretty much hard packed ice. Just got my sierrascope and was wondering if I should go ahead with detuning, or leave it be? I'm all mountain, minimal park, and working on ground tricks.. I'm also up in the sides, in the trees a lot. Def not speed. Any advice appreciated. First ride coming up this weekend so at this point, I don't know how it rides yet.
you could just detune the tip and tail that way it dont catch when doing flatland tricks, when i got my capita i did that and a 2 degree bevel but thats cause i do alot of park stuff
LTshredTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

For the conditions you're riding in, I wouldn't detune the effective edge. You can detune the tip and the tail, but thats it. If you round the effective edge, you won't have much luck digging into hardpack or ice. Go ride it and then decide what edge you want on your board.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
MauiWowie

I ride the same board and the same mountain and mine's not detuned. Never had any problems with catching edges.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
magronbass

awesome, will check it out this weekend and decide. I'm guessing no detune is okay since I'm not park heavy.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magronbass View Post
awesome, will check it out this weekend and decide. I'm guessing no detune is okay since I'm not park heavy.
Yeah, if its super catchy you can run a stone over it to take some of the edge off. You could even pack a file or a pocket stone with you. Personally, I think its always easier to keep your edge and make adjustments toward dullness not the other way around. Most park people don't completely detune either, they just increase their base bevel to raise the edge up out of way a little. Have fun this weekend.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i totally agree. detune the nose and tail. when i did mine and waxed it it became a different board compared to my first day without it.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Leave it alone until you have a problem.

That is the best advice period. You ride it, if you feel it's catchy, then slightly detune it.

Do you add salt to something before you try it to see if it even needs salt?

Reverse cambered boards are completely different from cambered boards and rarely need detuned out of the package. If this were a cambered board we were discussing, I would say slightly detune it because it will need it.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

You don't need to detune the nose and tail on a sierrascope, they come from the factory detuned. Feel it for yourself, the nose and tail are a lot less catchy than the sides.
vi3telit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

and its a lot less catchy after the detune. mine would throw me around when i laid it flat, it was fine on either edge but it made me do an ear plant when it was flat once.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote